How do you figure headloss when using vinyl tubing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reefbound

Anyone know how? instead of using all those 45's and 90's I figured I would use reinforced vinyl tube instead of pvc pipe.

Ok there are 3 types of losses you have to worry about.

-losses due to the fittings
-flow losses (due to a combination of velocity, surface roughness of inside of pipe, viscosity of fluid and length of pipe)
-vertical rise

Assuming the vertical rise will be the same between the two setups you only need to look at the first two. I will go find the equations tomorrow but I need you to find the typical "surface roughness" for the two materials you will be using. This will be in the range of thousandths to millionths of an inch. Google it, or goto a manufacturers website.

What are your flow rates? This will only really matter if your on the edge of not enough or you have some serious flow. Also, the quick and easy way will be to increase the diameter of your pipes. This will slow down the water's speed (mph) yielding less loss, but will not effect the flow rate (gph/gpm).

OK Im guessing you couldnt find the roughness of the tubes. I could only find PVC. I wouldn't worry about it, unless this is a remote installation ie 20+ feet. I would use what ever you have onhand.

OK Im guessing you couldnt find the roughness of the tubes. I could only find PVC. I wouldn't worry about it, unless this is a remote installation ie 20+ feet. I would use what ever you have onhand.

Honestly I have not looked,Im having major skimmer problems and Im waiting for the new one to come before I tackle another project... :D

no prob. Just throw up another post when you get back around to it again. :)

Back