How many snails should I get?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

myindoorocean

I'm looking at adding snails to my tank, and reefcleaners.org has some premade cleaner packages determined by tank size. When I look on the list for the one closest to my tank, (120 gallon) it suggests this combination:

133 Dwarf Ceriths
33 Nassarius
38 Florida Ceriths
36 Nerites
28 Assorted Hermits

That seems like a lot of critters. Thoughts anyone? I've already got a few turbos, some Margaritas, probably 20 or 30 more other mixed snails, and probably 20 hermits.

They've also got packages that don't have hermits but have a few more snails.

How new is the tank?
If you stock too many too fast, there may not be enough food for all of them.
Some will starve.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

You can drop John at Reefcleaners a line using the "Custom Clean Up Crews" tab on his site. He'll work with you to set up a great package for your tank.

I'm wondering the same thing for my 90 gallon, how many snails did you end up getting?

I understand that more is better but 90 snails in my 90 just seems like a lot, is that how you guys do it?

yep. i bought 350 snails for my 360 gallon reef tank. as time goes. snails do die and you do have to buy more. my problem is the snail keep getting stuck on my closed loop drain and that is why they died.

I got more than 1 per gallon but a lot of mine are dwarf ceriths which are really small. I've probably got 200+ in my 112. Go to reefcleaners.org and find your size tank. Word if warning - nerites climb out. You'll find them on the floor if you have an open top like I do.

The dead snails supply shells for growing hermits too. I think my blue leg hermits are actively killing snails for shell though. I just added 100 blue legs and they were really small and are growing quick and now I see my snails moving faster and realize theres a hermit in the shell.......sucks for the hermits.

Last edited:
Reef cleaners has always treated me well also. every time iI read there recoomended numbers theres a moment of shock until iI realize the bulk of those numbers are dwarf ceriths

Got my 90 gallon package and some macro from rc yesterday and couldn't be happier, thanks for the info guys

Back