How much chaeto?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefjock

Last weekend I converted one side of my sump to a refugium with live rock, chaeto and a 6500K daylight cfl bulb on a 12 hr. cycle. I used a golf ball sized clump of chaeto. I have a soccer ball sized clump of chaeto in another tank. I'm thinking I should add more chaeto to the sump because I also have a algae problem in the display tank. Will adding more chaeto and of course multiple water changes help speed up the process of "starving" the unwanted algae in the display?

yes that can help speed it up. it can be other things. you might need to change your filters in your rodi unit. you also can add a sea hare to eat the algae.

Thanks. New filters already in the RODI. My algae problem started because of neglect. I went 3 or 4 months without doing any water changes. The alglae isn't taking over my tank by any means but is unsightly. I also went through a bryopsis problem a while back but stopped that cold with Kent tech-M.

I think you should use as much cheato as the system dictates to you. you will notice when it starts to gow slower and for lack of a better description, just not look as healthy. this means your system has low nutrients and its time to trim it down.

Thanks for your input. The chaeto has grown and as you said began to not look as healthy. I trimmed it down and so far so good.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to keep it about this size. I guess when it starts getting bigger I can just tear off a section of it and dispose of it.

When you first put the Chaeto in the sump, how did you secure it, or does it just float around?

Back