how much light......?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Skeptic9962

is 250w HQI MH too much light over my 29gal? equals out to 8.6wpg or so.....would this get too hot?

i would be going from 2 65w PCs to a 250w MH HQI.....seems like alot to me...

also would my softies be very angry?

one 250w light might not be too much. you might want to mount your light a little higher because you could definitely see some heat issues..the softies may not like it..

If you already have it, it will work, but that's a lot of light. As mentioned, raise it a little. This will also help with coverage.

If you haven't purchased yet, consider a combo pendant with 150w and some sort of supplementation, such as T5 or PC.

Is this a 250HQI only, or a combination unit with pc's? What is your kelvin rating of the hqi, if by itself? 10k,14k, 20k? This will make a difference as well.

i think he means the HQI unit and then a separate Pc unit...you could get either..a combo light-set or separate units will work...............if by itself, i would go with a 10k(for best coral growth)... if you aren't trying to get fast growth, i would go with a 14k...everyone will have a different preference

i dont have it yet was just asking first before i buy =P i was thinking of a 150w HQI Sunpod with a 14k pheanix bulb and most likly some sort of T5 unless there is something cheaper and just as good as that for a 29....any suggestions?

I had a 400w 20k xm bulb over my 20g before. I had it about 18'' above my water line and I had no heat issue. I just put a lil clip on fan right over the water surface kept my water at 78 degrees.

If you going to hang it I'd go with a 250 and hang it high, makes the tank easier to work on.

Don

Back