How to blow a Heater (aka Electrocution 101)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

windwaterwaves

Aquaholic
So today I was doing a water change from my salt mix bucket. I have a heater in there, and was pumping water out of it to my tank with a maxijet 1200. I run an extension cord to another outlet while i'm doing this.

I was almost done with about 5 gallons left in the tub, the tank was full and I put my hose back in the bucket, and boom. The top part of the heater had come out of the water and superheated, when the cool water hit the hot glass, it popped. There is no GFCI on this outlet... I was standing there barefoot with wet feet, and the breaker was not popping with the heater and pump still running in the bucket.

The bottom half of the heater dropped off, and the coils separated in the water, the breaker never tripped. I would assume it would continue to heat without a functioning thermostat and over heat the water or until there was a direct short.

Thankfully I did not reach in the bucket and say what was that, and saw the heater... I did manage to pull the extension cord out of the wall, I never felt a tingle but the thought of changing my underwear did come up.

So to summarize, always remove your heater before putting water in the tank... and use a GFCI especially on this!

Last edited:
Yikes!!! There are heaters that have safeties built in to shut them down when they are out of water. I recently had a hose come off my return pump, and spray water directly into my power strip, which is NOT GFCI...My Bad!! Of course, I had to reach back and yank the cord to the return pump out and I did get zapped!!

After a very bad shock, I have made it a must to ALWAYS have rubber soled shoes on when I am doing anything with the tank. Salt water, electricity, and bare feet =deadly combination. aka electrocution 101 :)

They make these plug in GFCI's you can buy to use temporarily, I think HD or Lowe's should have them where you find power cords.

I dont think a 300w heater is enough to do much damage... but I get the 110v wall socket wouldnt be too good lol

I dont think a 300w heater is enough to do much damage... but I get the 110v wall socket wouldnt be too good lol

If a 300w heater burst in water it wold put in 120vac, hopefully trip breaker before any damage was done so yes this is as lethal.:exclaim:

Back