How to catch a fish...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Adam29c

I've been trying to catch a clown fish for the past week. He is aggressive towards a few fish so I want him out. I have a 100g reef with about 150+ lbs of LR. Can anyone give me some tips or advise on how to catch this guy???

Thanks!
Adam

I would trying the ole red film over a flashlight routine at 2am..just make sure no other lights are on, otherwise you startle the fish and then all bets are off.

I had a N.Trigger I couldn't catch. I was told to find a small fishing hook, like for A fish egg(very,very small..well depending on fish size) and cut the barb off.
I didn't have to do it, I actually caught him with two fingers, durring feeding time.

Some people have other tricks. I am not sure your relationship with that fish, LOL, but I use a clear cut to catch my fish ( I don't like nets). I have found that I don't have to chase the fish as much using a cup!? I have even had good luck a the LFS with this method.

Good Luck

Almost had him last night. I was beat so I did not try for long. He is mine tonight!

Thanks again for the tips!!!

Hahahaha, yep or even an M-80.
I have used a 2 liter bottle as a fish trap with good results. If you google 2 liter fish trap you will see how to make one.

-Todd

I always used the the trick catching them after the lights have been off for a few hours. I never used a flashlight though. I just turned on a light somewhere in the room to where I can see and got in there and scooped them. Always seemed to do the trick. Either that or put the net in the tank and when they got a bit confortable with it in there after a few mins I'd throw in some food and when they go for it, scoop them up. Either way seemed to work but the lights off was usually the best bet.

Good luck! :)

Get a fish bag (the one you picked the fish up with) cut small holes in it so water can pass through and it will stay "inflated" under water. Sew fishing line around the open end (usually 10 lb so that is has some rigidity to stay open). Attach it to the side of the tank with the cleaning magnet. Leave it there for a day and dont feed. The following day, put the food inside the bag. Wait for him to go in and pull the string tight. Works amazing I have caught lots of fish this way.

It may take longer for the fish to get used to it, but I have caught the most wary fish with this method.

Have you tried reasoning with him to just get into the net? :D

The hook idea is a good one actually but if there are other fish then you may have your hands full. The night time idea sounds to be the best idea. Clowns bed down at night.

So your telling dropping a 110 power cord while plug in is a no-no, but it's been working so far:confused: LOL..

Dtech07

Get a fish bag (the one you picked the fish up with) cut small holes in it so water can pass through and it will stay "inflated" under water. Sew fishing line around the open end (usually 10 lb so that is has some rigidity to stay open). Attach it to the side of the tank with the cleaning magnet. Leave it there for a day and dont feed. The following day, put the food inside the bag. Wait for him to go in and pull the string tight. Works amazing I have caught lots of fish this way.

It may take longer for the fish to get used to it, but I have caught the most wary fish with this method.

If I dont get him tonight this will be in place tomorrow. Great idea!!!!

I always used the the trick catching them after the lights have been off for a few hours. I never used a flashlight though. I just turned on a light somewhere in the room to where I can see and got in there and scooped them. Always seemed to do the trick. Either that or put the net in the tank and when they got a bit confortable with it in there after a few mins I'd throw in some food and when they go for it, scoop them up. Either way seemed to work but the lights off was usually the best bet.

Good luck! :)

This is by far the best way. I have caught three pairs of clowns out of very large tanks using this method. Clowns are very territorial and not real fast swimmers. They tend to stay in one general area of the tank no matter what. Especially when they are in sleeping mode.

If I dont get him tonight this will be in place tomorrow. Great idea!!!!
Sounds like a ghetto fish trap. Most ideas do work but a fish trap can take up to several weeks for the fish to get used to and swim into. The few times I ever did try a fish trap the one's I wanted were smart enough to know they were the target and never once swam into it. Clowns are the easiest of all fish to catch.

If they host a anomone you can pick it up with a net under it when they are in it sleeping. I have had luck with suprising them when the lights come on and they can not see. Try a big net at feeding time, put the net in a little early and when you feed scoop them out. Use there aggression to your advantage, gode them into charging you, when they defend there territory, and net them when they attack..usually the fish will work the issues out among them selfs. It is natural to defend the home, especiallly clowns. They tend to be pretty content and pretty happy fish. They breed pretty regullarly and part of that that is defending there breeding spot. There eggs are a tasty treat for the fish, shrimp or crab that can get to them. I do not think you should be overly concerned with this particular behavior there is rarely any real damage done unles you have other clown fish in the tank. Most of it is posturing to keep there nest of eggs safe. Good luck and enjoy.

Sounds like a ghetto fish trap. Most ideas do work but a fish trap can take up to several weeks for the fish to get used to and swim into. The few times I ever did try a fish trap the one's I wanted were smart enough to know they were the target and never once swam into it. Clowns are the easiest of all fish to catch.

Hey man, Ghetto is cheap. Fish traps are like 30+ bucks and big and bulky. This can be set up anywhere.

My tang who was very smart took two days to get acclimated to it being there. The clown however, was in it the first day. Just put next to their home.

Hey man, Ghetto is cheap. Fish traps are like 30+ bucks and big and bulky. This can be set up anywhere.

My tang who was very smart took two days to get acclimated to it being there. The clown however, was in it the first day. Just put next to their home.
Your right. I didnt read through very thouroughly and a 2 litre bottle fish trap is probably better than most store bought ones due to size alone. The store bought ones I've seen are too small to catch anything bigger than a wrasse or chromis.

Back