How to catch Coral beauty ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

seedlessinseattle

Hello everyone, somehow I need to catch my Coral beauty she is snacking on sps, lost about 7 so far I tried fish trap, I caught most every fish, but this little critter is very elusive I'm running out of patience, Been thinking of doing some fishing the oldfashion way with a miniature hook, will that be ok, what to do ? Is allways hiding behind all rocks, I do not know what to do I have spent hours tryng with fish trap and no luck, help , I'm thinking miniature hook is probably to hard on fish so I will skip that, any ideas ?

Are you adding food to the tank, only from the trap?
Eventually it has to go in.

Find a shop that specializes in fly fishing. They seem to have all the tiny barbless hooks and go for it.

It may be hard on the fish, but if the fish is eating your sps,,,, what's worth more to you?

Fish is olso nipping at some zoas, no I have no choice, I need to go fishing sooner than later, I only feed in fish trap, I will try not feeding for a day and then will see, thanks for the idea Marty

i just ran into the same problem with a thredfin butterfly fish. i could catch every fish in my 360 gallon tank but this fish. he was eating all my zoa's and mini maxi anemonmes. i went to a local fish store. i bought two mini maxi's. as soon as i put them in the tank. he started picking on my mini maxis. i took one of the mini maxi's that was on a small rock. put it inside the fish trap. as soon as i got my hand out of the trap the fish went into the fish trap. so try and bait the fish trap with some zoa's. i have also in the past. took some fishing line and a little hook. make sure it is barbless. put a little piece of shrimp on it. also put a little weight on it. go fishing in your tank. it might hurt the fish for a little while. it will be fine. good luck to you.

I caught my 6 anthias using a midge fly hook and crimped the barb down. threaded large PE Miesis to cover hook. Try making a fish corral curtain using black window screen zip tied along acrylic rods and only feed at the back end of it..caught many of my fish in two days this way.

Hey Chad let me know on the rock DIY, I need lo learn on how to make some frag plugs
Thanks for all the great ideas, I will try some of those and see what happens,

Back