How to clean an ORP probe

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

seismic

Balaenoptera musculus
Hi all,

Is there any cleaner solution to clean the ORP probe ? Some one told me vinegar, but Im a bit reluctant to do that. Im not sure how vinegar will react with the tanks chemistry.

Any other safe way to clean if there's no purpose made cleaning solution ?

I've also heard bleach beleive it or not - I'm in the same boat as you though -- too chicken to try either (Bleach or vinegar) on my very expensive probes.. so I purchased some probe cleaner solution from Custom aquatics and it works like a charm!

Thanks for the link. I'll try looking for it here. The ORP probe really needs cleaning, but I'd rather do it with the right stuff rather than risking the probe and the lifestock.

Cleaning with a soft toothbrush and vinegar (use the white vinegar) shouldn't be any problem at all for either your probe or tank. Lightly rinse after cleaning. If some vinegar droplets do happen to get into your system, they won't harm anything.

Cleaning with a soft toothbrush and vinegar (use the white vinegar) shouldn't be any problem at all for either your probe or tank. Lightly rinse after cleaning. If some vinegar droplets do happen to get into your system, they won't harm anything.

Agreed, you dont need to buy probe cleaning solution. Also dont expect the probe to be acurate right away after cleaning, give it a day or two.

Don

Back