How to eradicate the softy eating nudis'

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trido

Fish Tank Freak
Today I noticed a couple of these creatures sliming aroung in my 30G softy tank. I believe they hatched on the bottom of a leather I bought a month ago. They were ID'ed as a strain of the Genus Phyllodesmium. Tonight I saw a couple more and siphoned them into a cup. I realized that there are about twenty very small ones. I cant suck them all out. I am wondering, Should I give the leather a FW dip? Or, should I just give it an iodine Dip? Any suggestions?

i would definately get the leathers into a qt tank before the problem gets worse....that will give you some time to figure out how to treat it ....do they only feed on leathers????

please do not kill this nudibranch
i love the nudi and not many ppl do there are many reef safe one and if this one isnt please pass it on to sum on eles or put it in a fudge or sump
ppl hate to lose coral but inverts are just as important an organism as coral

First I would try and suck out as many as you see, then I would try the dip recipe on the Lugols container that says to use 40 drops of Lugols to one gallon of tank water.
I've also heard that using Flat Worm Exit has an effect on some nudibranchs.

morgan, there are some creatures that just do not belong in our tanks. These nudibranchs are just an example.
It is unfortunte that they come in with the corals, but you can't expect someone to try and keep it in a sump and feed it a coral to keep it alive.

i have some water in a qt tank that is infested with "ich"..i will give you that Morgan!! LOL J/K

I would try the Iodine dip.

If that doesn't work, I can give you a sample of levamisole to try. This is a treatment for montipora eating nudibranchs.

Morgan,

The problem with most nudibranchs is that they are obligate feeders and can only survive on a single food source. The choice is eradicating the nudibranchs or letting them entirely consume the type of coral they live on. At some point they eliminate their food supply and die out anyway.

Guys, I hear you on that! The nudi has every right to exist in the wild, but does not belong in a coral aquarium any more than hungry crocks belongs in a day care nursery.

Last edited:
Over at reefs.org a girl named Leslie gave me a link to a RC thread. There are many pics of what looks like this nudi. They claim it to be a monti eating nudi. Of course I forgot to mention to everyone that this particuular leather is encrusted onto a monti sp.. I would love to give it a quick FW dip as the lugols seemed ineffective on them but now I'm afraid of killing the monti. Can I give a monti a FW dip? If not I will just have to get as many as I can now, be diligent and let nature run its course. This is my softy tank and the monti was a nice bonus when I bought the leather. Guess it wasnt such a nice bonus after all.

I do not recommend doing this as it may back fire on you, but I did dip a bunch of nice montipora capricornis colonies in freshwater and lugols iodine, and flat worm extract that were infested with the particular nudi that eats them.
All of the purple, neon green and green with purple rim that I did this to, turned very brown for a couple months. Nudi's were gone but so was the nice color.
About 2 to 2-1/2 months later I noticed that the color was slowly returning and it eventually all did.

With the nudi's that eat leathers, you will find big holes in the leathers and the ones that eat the monti's you will see areas that have turned white.
Which ones do you think you have?

Last edited:
Thanks finn. I will give it the dip as the monti in question is already brown. I have a frag of it in my 120 that is slowly starting to get some color. Just not sure what color yet. I doubt the colony in the 30 will ever get color if I can save it because of low light.

well if u had a harlequin shmrip would u not feed it starfish??
ive never had ich on any of my fish and never qt
i would take them if i was in america there such a nice looking nudi thats all

You can also get a green leaf wrasse. They are reef safe and they swim around hunting and eating the nudi's.
Matt

There are several different wrasses that will hunt for food and will eat different kinds of nudibranchs.
I had pretty good success with a green coris wrasse keeping the population down to nothing.
The is a thread on RC about a sea grass wrasse that is suppose to be great at eating nudibranchs.

Back