how to measure nitrate use n02 or n03

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

supamarine

im not quiet sure which nitrate i should be measruing nitrate n02(fresh and salwater nitrate) or n03 (saltwater nitrate). i've always been using n03 but my nitrate doesnt fall eventhough i do a water change it falls a bit but thats it ive been runin my tank for more than 2mths with onli live rock...i want to put fish in but nitrate not disapperring..ani suggestions?

No3 is the one. Your right on there. What is the level? What kind of test kit? What is the nitrate level of your waterchange water? What kind of salt are you using? Your problem is in the answer to these questions, more than likely. If your using tap water the nitrate may be from it, or the salt, or the kit may be bad, or your tank is not finished cycling. How many pounds of live rock? Has it all been in the tank for 2 months?

oh k

im using saltwater master liquid test kit..looks preeti crap...and um...using crystal sea marine mix for the salt my nitrate level is 30-40 and i added my live rock during the cycle i have about 25kg of live rock in my 220litre tank(4ft) tank...im new to this and im using a Nature's Reef trickle filter which has a jaubert cavity substrate bed,queen turbo skimmer and super biomatt balls...not quiet sure like how good this filtration system is...

also when i test for nitrate at begining its like 5 but after 5mins its like 20

which one is right the beginnin or the after one..and i left the nitrate test overnight the next morning it was like 40 ...wat is right ..thanx?

You have a 58 gallon tank with 55 lbs of live rock that is ok
did you test your new saltwater with the test kit before you added it and waited just as long to see if the results are the same ? I would take some water to a lfs and ask them to test for nitrates your test kit could be old /expired I am guessing many of our sponcers sell online and a recomended brand is salifert. I don't know what the tricke filter system has but if it has bio balls please if you want coral's remove them (if there is nothing in the tank then you can take them all out NOW) and put some live rock pieces in there instead the bio balls are a nitrate trap!! also any canister filter that has floss needs to be rinced very very often so nitrates don't grow if you have a sand bed and the nitrates are indeed very high then you may need to manually vacum /siphon it clean somewhat to get the nitrates out hope this help's get that water tested :)

supamarine said:
which one is right the beginnin or the after one..and i left the nitrate test overnight the next morning it was like 40 ...wat is right ..thanx?
Sounds like your tank has not completely cycled or is still too new for denitrification. It takes a decent amount of time for the proper bacteria to form and deal with NNR. Water changes are your best course of action when dealing with a new tank.

The test kit instructions should tell you how long to leave the sample before comparing the color to the chart. Overnight is far too long. It's usually 5-15 minutes depending on the manufacturer.

Also, NO2= NitrIte, NO3= NitrAte
Both should be tested if this is a newly established tank. Ammonia (NH3) and nitrite (NO2) should be undetectable once the cycle has properly completed. Every time you add new rock to the tank it will often start the process anew due to die off. When doing water changes, the amount changed out (%) is directly proportionate to the reduction in nitrate. If you have an NO3 reading of 40 ppm and do a 10 % water change, you've only reduced the nitrate by 4 ppm.

Cheers
Steve

I have never used crystal sea marine mix. I am used to Instant Ocean. I do recomend it as a easy salt to use and get used to. It is for one thing very consistent and does very well by me. If you are talking about the the aqurium phamecuticals test kits. They are not bad kits, just not accurate enough for reef use, to me. Like has been said before Salifert is the way to go. The kit if it is what I think it is, you have to wait 5 minutes to read it. Here is the trick. Mix up a water change worth of water with your salt. Test the water you are going to add salt to, write it down, add the salt and let it stabilize, test it and write it down. Then test the water in your tank and write it down. For example you have 10 gallons of rodi water, testing 0 nitrates, you mix up the salt and it tests 10ppm nitrates, you test your tank of call it 50 gallons of water and it has 20 ppm nitrates. So when you to a 1/5th water change you take out 4 ppm nitrates and add back 2ppm nitrates. For a net after change of 18 ppm nitrates. Doesnt sound very useful. Test those parameters I gave you. Write them down, and post them. Now I think you can see why people recomend rodi, and high quality salts. If your using tapwater and your salt is high in nitrates you are always going to have a high reading. Hope this made some kind of sense anyway. Oh yeah and if you have bioballs, and no fish or corals yet, They make great cat toys, or give them to someone with a fish only system. Not for you if you want corals. Steve

Back