How to raise PH & Calcium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

str8juizy

saltygurl
I wanted to know how to raise my PH & my Calcium levels. Is there something that I can buy that will do both? A friend on here gave me some baking soda that has been baked. I think he told me that was good for raising both. Does anyone know how much I am supposed to use in a 92 gallon tank? Any feedback would be great. Oh & I have on hand C-Balance & calcium powder...

no not good for raising both what you are looking for is easy drip kalk go to watmart or comeover I will give you a tub of it it is called pickling lime in the canning Ilse like the old school bottles to can foods pickle jars what not it cost 2.50 and will last a long time. you can make a homemade kalk dripper with rigid airline tubing and flex airline hose with a 1 gallon container from walmart also. it will do your system good with the light demand for alk and ca. easy to do and start with a drip rate of 1 per 10 secs then test after a 24 hr period then adj to see fit. too much will kill the system off. aka burn all the sps in there

I don't know about the baking soda. But, there are additives you can buy to raise both. I was using a calcium additive for a bit, but my tank has been holing its own for some time now. Check you local hobby store.

In my signature, you'll find links to DIY Randy's recipe for making supplements for Alk, Ca and Mg. There's also a link to a Reef Chemistry Calculator, which will help you determine how much of each to add.

Once you get your Alk, Ca and Mg in balance, then test your pH and see if it still needs to be changed. The Alk supplement will raise your pH. Also, if your Alk is low, you'll have trouble keeping a stable pH.

In my signature, you'll find links to DIY Randy's recipe for making supplements for Alk, Ca and Mg. There's also a link to a Reef Chemistry Calculator, which will help you determine how much of each to add.

Once you get your Alk, Ca and Mg in balance, then test your pH and see if it still needs to be changed. The Alk supplement will raise your pH. Also, if your Alk is low, you'll have trouble keeping a stable pH.

+1 on this advise. Randy's recipe and the Calculator are great tool's you should check them out!

Sounds like a kalk drip is what you want. I just started one, and it is having a good effect on my tank.

It is basically exactly what you need (called pickling lime above.) It is CaOH, so when it gets into the water, it turns adds calcium and raises the pH. A saturated solution is about pH 12.5. Add slowely.

I add 2 tsp/gallon of DI water. Mix, usually overnight, but an hour or 2 is probably good. Then let it sit overnight.

There is a film on the top where the kalk comes in contact with the air, you don't want this. There will be some precipitate on the bottom, leave this also. Use a syphon hose to take the liquid from between these 2 layers to a new container that you will drip out of.

In your drip container, also don't have the hose all the way to the bottom, as more solid will precipitate and you don't want that. There is tons of info on the forums/internet on how to use kalk and how to set up a kalk drip.

If you want a $20 drip system, let me know and I'll let you know how I set up mine.

rob

Back