How to remove corals without hurting them...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

KRMNAL1

I bought 2 medium stalks of pulsing xenia from "dieseldave" about a month ago and it has grown way to much for my 55. How can I separate the stalks and remove it from the rock so I can offer it for trade without killing it ??

Thanks

just cut it at the base with a sharp razor blade, and if you dont want it to grow back from where you cut it off then squirt some lemon juice or kalkwasser in it to kill the rest off... when you cut it off the main stalk will re-attatch to a new piece of rock..

Matt

you are not going to hurt the xenia by cutting or scraping it off the rock and yes it will grow a new stock where you cut it if you dont do something to prevent it.

Thanks Guys, what do I do to prevent it from growing in the same spot I cut it off and if I have strong flow in my tank how can I get it to attach to a new frag rock without it blowing away ??

how can I get it to attach to a new frag rock without it blowing away
Use a rubber band to hold it to the rock. Keep the rubber band loose so it will not cut it in half.

To prevent it from growing in the same spot you want to remove it from, what I did was if you are careful you can kind of just peel it off the rock if you can get an edge started. That's what I ended up doing to get it removed from my tank as it was spreading everywhere. Of course you may have to go get a new full set of fake nails to get the job done appropriately... :) :)

what I did was if you are careful you can kind of just peel it off the rock if you can get an edge started.
Did you smell your finger when you were done?:shock: nothing stinks quite like it. Hot water and kalk should also kill it.

Brenden said:
Did you smell your finger when you were done?:shock: nothing stinks quite like it. Hot water and kalk should also kill it.

I can't believe you wrote that, but ohhh so true! :lol:

depending on what it is attached to if you remove the rock and do the cutting in a seperate container you might have better luck and not poullut your main. My experience is that xenia tend to wander where they want, so beware.

HTH,

Back