How to reseed dead live rock?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

veng68

Hi,

I have a friend who has a lot of old (dead) live rock. He's had it in his garage for about 10 years........ bone dry.

I am just wondering what is a good method of reseeding this rock?

Also how long do you think it would take to re-seed?

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Put it in a vat, tank, tub, or other container with fresh live rock and let it go. Time it will take a while. 2-3 months to really get a solid start is my opinion. The aquacultured rock is left in the ocean for 2-3 years before sale.

I started a 38 gallon SW tank and I had the same problem, I took about 20 lbs. of my LR from my other tank and put it with the dead rock. Wrighme43 is correct, it took about 3 months for it to start to culture itself. If you don.t have another tank you can use a large rubbermaid tube with some power heads for circulation, you will need some type of lighting to get the coraline alge going also.

I am in the same boat... I have about 150 lbs of Rock that was dry for a month or so... Moving company wouldn't move it with water... I have mine in 2 rubbermaid containers with powerheads... I got a bag full of live sand from my LFS to put on the bottom and I add real live rock whenever I get the chance (and $$$). It's been that way for a few months now and I hope to get about 50 lbs this weekend to really start the seeding process. HTH

Back