Howdy All. Some Recent Pics

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reeferdude

Reeferdude
Nothing fancy like some of y'alls tanks but here are some latest photos. The growth on the Monti is amazing. It was a tiny frag about 3/4" and not in only about 5-6 months it's grown to about 4-5" around..Three other tiny frags are about an inch right now...

Nice setup! Is that a Falco Hawkfish? How does he do with the other fish and inverts? I'm most likely going with one of those guys in my tank. Does he perch alot on your corals? I had a flame that constantly perched on my sps and want a smaller hawk that does the same.

Just a guess, but it looks like he has something under the sand bed to keep the clams in place.

Nice setup! Is that a Falco Hawkfish? How does he do with the other fish and inverts? I'm most likely going with one of those guys in my tank. Does he perch alot on your corals? I had a flame that constantly perched on my sps and want a smaller hawk that does the same.

Thanks, It's a Pixie Hawk and it's quite a character. It perch's everywhere except directly on the corals. My Scooter Blenny is notorious for perching on top of the Goniopora.

Nice shots, why does it look like you sandbed drops 4-5" in the pic?

Just a guess, but it looks like he has something under the sand bed to keep the clams in place.

Thanks mille,

You're both correct. The crushed coral/sands bed has three different levels and three different sized granules to create a diverse and varying function of the bed itself. Higher at the base of the rock and behind it. slants down toward the right and left sides, then shallow in the front center. I'm slowly reducing the bed levels to create bare bottom in the front/center.

Each one of the Crocea has a separate piece of flat liverock attached to it's foot below the substrate....

Great growth on the monti... How are you dosing calc/alk? Right now I'm doing two part in my tank, but I'm looking to buy a calc reactor.

With this tank for the fist two years all I did was mix Kalk in a jug of water and pour it directly into the wet/dry. CRAZY!! I know. Called a Kalk Slurry. Now I mix the Kalk in gallon containers and by adjusting with a small valve slowly drip into the filter. One tsp per gallon NOT eliminating the excess settled kalk from the bottom. I used to start fresh every time by rinsing the containers out because everything I read said not to add the settled portion, but haven't done that for over 6 months and have notice NO difference in water quality. My old tank had a bunch of fancy do-dads, big skimmer, Calcium Reactor, Chiller, ATO, Electronic this and that etc.. I'm avoiding that with this one. I went simple and love it...

Back