HQI vs. Mogul

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Handegard

Two is better!
Assuming same wattages, say 250s, is there a advantage to one or the other? Does it just come down to bulb choice?

I have a pair of Mogul pendants in my hood now, currently running a pair of 175s.

But, I just aquired a pair of nice HQI pendants (I like better) and a pair of Icecap 250s. So I just wanted to know if I should buy SE 250s or HQI 250s for use with my icecaps...
Thanks

What are you putting this on?

HQI has some great numbers in PAR but you have to use a UV shield.
Ye Old Mogul has been around many years & provides probably a larger variety of Kelvin ranges. Heat may be an issue with either but in tight spaces HQI may have an advantage. I've had both & like them both, larger tanks I'd probably go with the SE & large reflectors but the is a personal choice.

Current tank is a 75, but we picked up a 110 yesterday. Not sure what we will use both for.

Right now, I'd like to put both 250 ballasts on my 75. Since I'll be re-wiring anyway, and I'd be buying two 250 bulbs anyway, I didn't know what was better....

HQI reflectors are supposed to be more efficient at reflecting light, since they were designed for aquriums as opposed to mogul based reflectors which were originally designed for horticulture.

However, my experiance with HQI's leads me to think otherwise.

On my 58 gallon tank I had dual 250 Sunlight Supply Reef Optix 3 pendants, (HQI). I was using AB10K bulbs in them. I got annoyed with the lack of availability of DE bulbs here in St Louis. If you needed them, you better have ordered them in advance, cause you werent finding them locally.

I got a pair of Reef Optix 1 pendants to replace my RO3's. I used AB10k mogul based bulbs in them. Same ballasts, (Icecap E ballasts), just different reflectors. My corals promptly bleached.

Just my experiances.

Nick

Back