Huge Bummer!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DaBrowns

:( Apparently late last night our anemone got sucked into a powerhead. One side of him is pretty mangled and "gooey" looking for lack of a better term. It appears he was able to free himself...and then fell on to our torch coral...who lives under the powerhead. The torch "looks like" he'll pull through...the anemone...not so much. I tried to feed him today, and he was still able to hold on to food...but after about 5 min released it...tried again...same thing.:(

Is there ANYTHING we can do for him besides watch him die?

Thanks for any positive advice.

i'm sorry to hear dood.
i'd cover the powerheads with some sponge filter thingys in case it goes for another ride.
just give it sometime to heal.

what type of anemone is it? many will recover if left alone and dont force it to eat. make sure your water quality is good and do maybe a 25% water change today to get rid of any toxins that may have been released by the animals during this episode. also turn off any halides for a day or two and let just flourescent light do the job.

I recently had an RBTA get caught in the same way....twice!!! I ended up moving it to another tank and letting it "rest and heal." I totally left it alone for about a week and it's now fine. I was amazed. I thought for sure it was a goner!! As Jsmkmavity mentioned, do a few water changes and I'd also suggest running carbon. Keep it in a lower light level and as mentioned, don't feed it. I wouldn't be surprised if it pulls through. Nothing would surprise me after seeing mine pull through. It was mangled!! It's now back in the main tank and seems to be doing fine, although it's moving from place to place on a regular basis. I've got ALL my powerheads and intakes sponged off.

Bummer Update

Well....the sebae didn't make it. After talking to someone with LOTS of anemone experience, I don't think I had enough "free room" on the sandbed for him. Just as I was told, he went downhill VERY quickly.:( Also I no longer think it was the powerhead...but a chance encounter with my torch coral. I was told that if pieces of the anemone began to fall off, it would surely die and could take the rest of the tank out with it, as the pieces can still sting after seperation.:eek: On the bright side if there is one...the torch has almost fully recovered already...and this morning I noticed the clown who was in the anemone has now hosted in the torch.:p

Back