Humidity in your house from tank, what to do?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Speed Racer

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site and have been enjoying all the info here. I have a 150 gallon display tank with a 40-50 gallon refugium/sump. My question is this, Does anybody have condensation collect on the inside of your house windows? My sump and display are both open on top. What happens every winter is when we get up in the morning, water/condensation is on almost all the windows in the house. Is anybody else experiencing this and if so what have you done about it? Thank you.

Well I don't feel sorry for you one bit, Texas BAH !!, I live In Canada home of snow and cold, we only have 2 seasons here winter & July..LOL

Just kidding, I simply keep a window cracked a bit to allow for air exchange, maybe look into a dehumidifier if your really concerned, that will do the trick..

I agree...If I'm understanding what you are saying correctly, people use dehumidifiers all the time especially in basements. That may be your best bet. Good luck and welcome to the forum if I haven't welcomed you already:)

I had the same problem here in WI. I bought a fantech blower not sure of model number off hand. The input is run in my bathroom and the exhaust is run outside through the roof. It runs off 12V and has two speeds. I had to do this because my house was sealed up to tight and it caused all kinds of mold problems. (this unit was built specifically for this reason) This thing runs constantly during the colder months and costs next to nothing to run because of it being 12V. If you can install it yourself it would probably cost under $300.

Brian

I use a dehumidifier also... or maybe you can install a fan like most bathrooms have.

I have a fan in my bathroom but exhausts into the attic instead of outside and I didn't know...mold all over my attic ! Definitely have to get a dehumidifier !

my tank is in the basement, im strick on climate control..

68-72 degree humidy 42-55.

digatal control humidafier, and Deumidafier,+ propain stove+ Ac

botch'd that spelling

definitely an issue in newer aka tighter home construction. I agree with previous comments... a dehumidifier should do wonders if the window crack doesn't.

We bought an oversized dehumidifier at Lowes for $189.99...works great. Worth buying.

Nick

Concur with the purchase of a dehumidifier. Have a 72 and a 180 in our living area and our house is very airtight. Last winter I spent hours drying interior windows and then in the spring dealing with some mildew. Bought a fairly expensive dehumidifier that is fairly quiet and not an eyesore in the living area and it has helped dramatically. One thing I have to watch is getting the humidity down too far and then tank evaporation increases. I now keep the humidity at about 55-60% and it prevents window condensation except for the colest of nights...and then it is much less thatn last year.

I have a dehumidifier in my crawlspace where I have my tank and all equipment. It's a larger one and man is it loud; I wouldn't want one in my living area.

I may need one though, because I am getting a lot of condensation.

I'm having a lot of problems this year with the humidity. As a temporary fix, I've just turned on my furnaces's fan full time. So, when it's not blowing heat, it's just circulating the air. Seems to be working pretty good!

Vicki

Moving the air around will always help, but running your furnace full time may not be a good idea for the long run, maybe get a cheap fan that rotates and just set it on low. I find in my basement where I have many tanks just having a small flow of air does wonders..

Back