HYDNOPHORA and frogspawn :basic care

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mytilus

can someone please summarize the care of HYDNOPHORA and frogspawn forme . i willbe recieving a frag of eah nd want tto make sure i do everything right. Any tricks on keeping the frogspawn from falling down? I understand frogspawn is quite hardy and should be orientated facing directly up. Is HYDNOPHORA delicate? I know nothing about the HYdnophora. Any insights on lighting, flow , water qulaity or any other hlpful hints on the se 2 corls would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in Advance

Those two corals are very hardy (IME).

Let's start with frogspwan. They like to be in a little flow to where their polyps sway back and forth. They don't need a lot of light, but don't mind light either. I had mine on the bottom of a 75 gallon aquarium with 250W halides over it. It thrived. They are very forgiving. Watch out for their sweeper tenticles though. They can reach a lot farther than you think and pack a punch to other corals.

Hydnophora is another tough coral. I've found they like light, so the farther up you go in the tank the better. They pack an even bigger punch. I've found that any coral that touches a hydno will lose the battle...and it doesn't take long. Place the coral away from other corals and ensure that none will topple on top of it especially. Likes flow, but not constant.

Back