Hydor Theo Heaters, Has Anybody used These?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

10gnano

I'm looking to get a heater for my mixing bucket and have run across these, Amazon.com: Hydor THEO Submersible Aquarium Heater 200W UL: Pet Supplies. They seem to be pretty cheap for what they are. I'm looking at the 200w heater. My thought process was to get a heater larger than I need for the mixing bucket in case the one in my tank goes on the fritz I will have a back up. On the box it says not to use in a tank less than 26 gallons. Will this cause a issue being in a volume of water much less than 26 gallon (5 gallons)? Thanks

I've used the Theo heaters before and must say that they're decent. Had one go bad and was able to get it replaced no problem through the retailer. IMO, I would say the 200 watt heater might be a bit much for a 5 gallon bucket.

Cheers,
Alex

I know it's a little over kill but this will also be a temporary back up in case the one in my display decided to no longer work.

My main question I have is will using a larger watt heater in a small volume of water cause it to burn out or not work properly? I don't see why it would, but I could be completely wrong on this.

Back