I dont want to lose my clam

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

IPisces

I noticed, a few days ago, one of those little snails, I dont remember what they are called, in the overflow box on my tank. They are the little white spiral shell snails that I have heard about that will kill your clams. I have had this clam for over a year and a half with no issues. I noticed one of these snails on his shell last night and so I pulled him out of the tank and cleaned a dozen or so off of him.
How do I get rid of these things? Will they get inside the clam where I wont be able to get them out? I plan on removing the clam nightly for cleaning but I am affraid that I will never get rid of them. I could clean him off and put him in qt for a while and then into a different tank. That might be my best option at the moment, but I still want to get rid of these things.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Thanks Mike, Unfortunately, yes that is what I found. They were all hiding under the mantle on the rim of the shell.

The clam is doing okay. He is still very reactive and fully open with the mantle fully extended. He's looking pretty as can be. But.... I dont want these snails getting out of hand and it sounds like they can.

Hey Lorrie, I somehow introduced them to my system last year and periodically remove clams for inspection/cleaning. I remove adults with a pair of tweezers and brush off eggs with an old toothbrush in the sink under running water (to temp). When looking into natural control I found that most of the reef-safe Wrasses eat them so I added a Leopard Wrasse and a Radiant Wrasse and both actively hunt/eat them along with the abundant Asterina stars. There never is more than a few snails when I inspect except lately my Clowns spawned next to one of my Maximas and keep the Wrasses away and had to remove 6-7 snails. I have seen and read that on healthy adult clams there can be dozens to hundreds of snails without causing major harm to them. My Wrasses seem to be doing what I hoped for by keeping them in check for many months now. When I first noticed them (both Maximas not opening up much) there were literally 100's of snails and gobs of eggs hidden in the scutes and around the foot. Check into getting a small Wrasse if you don't already have one in there. Leopard Wrasses and the smaller Halichoeres species would be best and the only real downside for me has been no small ornamental shrimp as they ate all my Peppermints but have left the Cleaner Shrimp alone. Hope this helps you a little.

Cheers, Todd

I was thinking about adding my wrasse even for a couple weeks. I am leery of putting a wrasse in the tank permanently because I don't want it depleting the mandarins food supply. I am maxed out for fish in that tank too.
I'll see how it goes with cleaning him off for a while and maybe resort to the wrasse if I cant get rid of them.

Well, I am bummed.... I hadn't seen but a half dozen or so of these snails on my clam at any given time. I plucked them off when I did. He seemed to be doing okay, fully extended and beautiful.... until a few days ago! :( He receded into his shell one day and the next day he closed up. He looked like he was going to open again, but I figured he was just too week to stay closed. I pulled him out and put him in qt cause I really didn't want him dying in the DT. I put him into the qt and a ton of those darn things came out from inside of his shell. He didnt make it. I inspected my other two clams, they were clean. I moved them to a different tank. So far so good with them.
Will these snails die out?
Maybe I will pick up a wrasse tonight. I love wrasses anyway. I need another one :)

Hey Lorrie, while your at Red C Aquarium ask Rob to order in a Radiant Wrasse for you. Still one of my favorite fish in my tank. And if you have time for a little further drive North feel free to stop by and pick up some corals IOU. I'm just 30 minutes from Rob's place.

Cheers, Todd

Hey Lorrie, while your at Red C Aquarium ask Rob to order in a Radiant Wrasse for you. Still one of my favorite fish in my tank. And if you have time for a little further drive North feel free to stop by and pick up some corals IOU. I'm just 30 minutes from Rob's place.

Cheers, Todd

Darn...I didnt see your post until now...I get off work at 4 and didnt get home til almost 8. Maybe next time. I will check with him on getting me that wrasse.

The radiant wrasse is another good choice. They are not fully reef safe though being they will eat shrimp, tube worms feather dusters and such. But they do chow down on P snails! :)

I think they may be a bit safer then the Coris that I suggested. Coris have been reported to eat coral though I have never seen it. I had one for 5 years with great success and all my clams did very well.

A sand bed will be necessary since this fish is a burrower when sleeping. They produce a mucus cocoon around themselves while buried to protect themselves. I once was sifting my sand bed in the evening and came across my wrasse. I thought it was dead at first from the way it was wrapped up in its cocoon. Very fascinating really.

If you go with the Radiant your going to want a male if looks are important to you. YOu will want to see it eat also before buying. They tend to come in a bit on the shabby side from importing.

Lorrie, Pyramallid snails aren't that difficult to get rid of, if you can remove your clam from the tank, easily. Every 2nd or 3rd day, take it out and brush it off with a toothbrush, preferably the toothbrush of a family member, instead of your own. Look for egg strands, while doing this. With some diligence, you can have the pesky snails eradicated, in a short time.

If you aren't able to remove the clam, several species of Wrasses will do a great job, including 6 Lined, which don't require a sand bed.

I am not worried about eating shrimp or tube worms. I dont have any in the 90 where the clams were. I just want one that will not mess with my other fish. I have a twin spot (clown coris) wrasse in my frag tank. He doesnt eat eat any of the coral, but he seems to have an attraction to 3 of my frags. I keep finding them on the floor of the tank in stead of in the frag rack where they belong.:nono: He's so funny.
I'd have to say that wrasses are one of my favorite fish. They are so active and into everything. They are just such an active eater, I worry a bit about it depleting the pod population and my mandarin not having anything to eat. The tank is pretty estalished with pods though. My green spot mandarin is FAT!!!

I have a good sand bed in the 90. I think the Radiant will be happy.

Your Coris Wrasse should be going after Pyramallids with a vengeance, actually. Hmmm Maybe you got a lazy one!

He probably would, but hes not in that tank. No hes not lazy, thats for sure. I suppose I could move him into it. He would like it in there. I could get the smaller wrasse for the frag tank.
I have 4 DT's and 1 frag tank and 2 qt's

Back