I have a sad question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Damsel13

my orange linckia star is in very poor health. I have tried many ways and many foods but it continues to decline. What would be the most humane way for me to end this fishes suffering?:cry:

some people put dying livestock in a cup of SW in the freezer. That's what I did with my dying butterflyfish. :cry:

well that would be fast Mike. The freezer thing was what I was thinking but I think leebeca said it wasn't the best way. I am going on memory and mine isn't so great :D so who knows who said freezer isn't the "best" way. I always thought it was. Well, thats what I LOVE about Reef Frontiers :exclaim: I can learn and not be made to feel small. :)

Thanks for the input.
Sheesh, we used to have crab feasts...I won't go there.

The freezer thing was what I was thinking but I think leebeca said it wasn't the best way.
Ohmygod, if I caused any unnecessary suffering to my fish, man! :eek:

So now I would like to know the "best way," too. Anyone know?

My weak sand sifter star was allowed to be reborn as part of my harlequin shrimp :>) Not fast, but the natural way. Offer it as a free starfish or to trade on your local craigs list.

A huge rock or brick smashing it into the street would do the same as the blender.

During the freezing process the fish gasps for air, struggling to extract oxygen from the air passing through/by its gill filaments. Instead, what the fish gets is cold, freezing air and its gills begin to freeze over. Somewhat like a human's lungs freezing with every breath. The fish goes through pain and some minor convulsions and slowly dies, usually of suffocation. Sound like fun? Sound humane?

It was often thought that fish feel no pain. Small brain, simple nervous system, etc., etc. Not true. Research is showing that fish that are even caught and then released (fisherman's sport) have suffered much more than we thought. But so far, fish have no rights.

There are two ways to put down a fish in the veterinarian code. (The vet code: Cause no harm.) One is practiced by most fish veterinary schools. The one I attend puts the fish to sleep with an overdose of MS 222, an anesthetic. It's available in small (but sufficient) quantities to the public. Still there is a more readily available chemical of putting the fish to sleep -- Clove Oil.

Clove Oil (CO) can be bought at most health food stores or through online sources. Not nearly as expensive as MS 222.

The fish is caught with as minimal trauma as possible (which isn't too hard since the fish is likely near death) and put into a half-gallon container with about a quart of tank water. 25 drops of CO is added to 2 cups of tank water in a freezer (thicker) plastic bag. Shake like the dickens (e.g., Charles).:lol: The CO doesn't dissolve, but it dissipates and some goes into solution.

Add the shaken mix to the tank water in the container with the fish. The fish slowly goes to sleep in a couple of minutes. When breathing stops, wait another 15 minutes before disposing of the fish. Now you can freeze it if you want. :rolleyes:

Very humane and. . .your home will smell of sweet cloves for a few hours.

During the freezing process the fish gasps for air, struggling to extract oxygen from the air passing through/by its gill filaments. Instead, what the fish gets is cold, freezing air and its gills begin to freeze over. Somewhat like a human's lungs freezing with every breath. The fish goes through pain and some minor convulsions and slowly dies, usually of suffocation. Sound like fun? Sound humane?

Crap. :cry::cry: I loved that poor fish.

Thanks for the info. on clove oil.

Regrettably, I've done the clove oil method. Do it in a container you plan to throw away ie, ziploc reuseable/disposable containers. That smell will never come out of plastic again. As for the sweet smell of clove - use the kitchen fan. After you've done this a few times it just smells like grief and failure.

It almost sounds as if the "Blender" method (okay... so perhaps just a quick knife cut idea) is more humane than we might of thought originally??? Quick and over.

You get a bigger than the fish net. Put him in and slap him hard over the edge of the sink with a fast downward motion.
It may sound cruel, but it is fast and effective. I read that years and years ago in some old fish book. Used it a few times. works great.

You get a bigger than the fish net. Put him in and slap him hard over the edge of the sink with a fast downward motion.
It may sound cruel, but it is fast and effective. I read that years and years ago in some old fish book. Used it a few times. works great.

Works fine with a fish, but what started this thread is how to off a starfish. Not sure a good slap against the sink would do the job:cry:

I think I am going to use the hammer method. This starfish is suffering and I can't do anything more to help it except to never buy one again!

Thank you lee. If my starfish had a face I would follow the clove oil method.

Back