I have aptasia! eek!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Damsel13

I came in on some macroalgae that I didn't get out fast enough. It attached to a rock that has LOTS of zoa's and orange sponge on. I actually boiled the bottom of the rock where the aiptasia lives. Didn't make a dent. It seems to like it's new home. I am wondering can I get a syringe with a needle and inject it? Is that better than just squirting stuff in its mouth? This one's going to stay unless I take drastic measures. I already stuck my rock in boiling water...didn't even phase the anemone. GRRRRRr

I have heard of people having mixed results, but i bought a peppermint shrimp for my 20 gallon tank. It took a few days for the shrimp to get used to its new surroundings but after the 3rd or 4th day all the aiptasia in my tank was gone.

I used Joe's juice in the beginning, but got lucky with a couple of peppermint shrimp. I agree that they are hit and miss. I have had a couple that didn't go near it. I would be concerned that the rock you "parboiled" might get some adverse effects...especially with zoa's and a sponge on it.

It didn't kill anything. I have to see if my lfs will give me or sell me a little kalk. I don't need a big container as I don't drip kalkwater.

Deb,
Another way to get rid of these is to get a syringe full of boiling water and squirt it directly into its mouth. Just be careful that you do not hit anything else with the boiling water! I hit a tip of an acropora once ( I was focused on the anenome and didn't notice how close I was to the coral), it lost some flesh and took a few weeks to heal. I found this method worked pretty good as long as the water was plenty hot, the first one or two I would hit with each syringe full would not come back. I prefer Joe's juice because you have more time (the boiling water cools pretty quickly in the tank) to zap them all and it seems to be pretty reliable.

Mrs Wages pickling lime is what most people use to make their kalk water. it is pretty cheap as you can see HERE.

Back