I have some questions about lighting and alage

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bjlind8888

soo i was givin some coral life 4x65w light with fans and stand and all that good stuff but i was wondering if my ice cap 660s are better than those.. and also i have a bit of hairy alage growning is there any cure for it. i just upped my calcium and iodine dose a lil bit.. thanks for the help

What are your water parameters? Are you using RO/DI water? How long has your tank been set-up? Are you skimming? Sometimes green algae is a normal part of the cycling process, but it also can be due to excess nutrients in the system. If you find out where the source of the nutrients is coming from, then you can win the battle.

my perameters are on and im useing di water my tank has been set up for about 5months yes im skimming andwut kind of excess nutrients would cause this

Your parameters being "on" isn't going to help anyone help you. Actual test numbers are what people are looking for because one person's "on" is often another person's "off". You're testing those iodine levels since you're dosing... right?

Nitrates and phosphates are two things that come to mind that will fuel algae. Long lighting cycles won't help either. Got any snails to take care of algae?

Along the lines of SeaMonster's comment... have you tested the water coming out of your DI? Is it just DI, or RO/DI? Just curious because if it's just DI and your resin is exhausted, then it's not filtered water at all.

Back