I need a great 12x12 footprint(or-less), in-sump design. Under $500.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

King_Neptune

Skimmer Skuzz
I'm searching around, a lot of the threads that I pull up from google are a few years old. Wondering if there's any 2010 models that have had great reviews.
I was thinking an Octopus might be a good choice, I currently have a Tunze 9010, but Im really at the edge of its rating with my 160g system that is starting to get heavily stocked.

I have a Reef Octopus and love it. It was way under $500. What size tank?

I have a Reef Octopus and love it. It was way under $500. What size tank?

DT is a 125 brick/55sump/5g fuge.(so I guess thats 185g system sorry, not 160). It's mainly SPS atm. But now that I have my corals in place, I'm starting to stock with fish.

I currently have:
2 adult engineer gobies(12" long).
7 Blue Chromis.
Cleaner wrasse.
6 line wrasse
Adult Purple Tang
Adult Copper Band Butterfly(amazingly he only likes mysis and Aptasia)

I plan to add a good half dozen more fish over the next several months.
Flame hawkfish and Powdered blue tang are on the list. But Im also gonna get a few more smaller fish as well...maybe a pair of Royal Gamma's and some Anthea's. If that seems to hold well...I'll consider adding a couple more.

So while I would call the tank a medium load ATM, it will transition to pretty heavily stocked over the next 3 months. So ill be taking it up a notch in skimming power before I make my final push to filling it with fish.

and the Deltec's are like way expensive right? You could get the Octopus and do that mesh mod.

mesh mod?
Id rather not mod things, unless it really poses no threat to the longevity of the skimmer.
Ideally, id like to get 3-4 years out of this thing.

I honestly don't know if it affects the longevity but I don't think so....you are simply adding mesh to the impeller I believe to make more air.

Back