I need help with outlet configuration on 100 gallon tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

travis_

Sea Cucumber
I am setting up my 100 gallon corner tank and need help with the outlet piping configuration. In the tank's previous setup, all they had was a 1" pipe with several 1/4" holes drilled in it. I am hoping to do something a little nicer, however, cost is a big factor and I can't spend much more or I risk putting this project on hold. I have a March pump that provides good flow (i don't know how many gph). The outlet is 1/2" MPT and it blasts water more than a water hose on full. I was going to stick with the 1/2" outlet size and use vinyl hose (or can you suggest something better?) to pipe it up from the basement and into the tank. Now, I know if I go to 1” into the tank I will loose velocity so I wanted to keep the distribution pipe at ½”, but at the same time I would like to leave it open to a pump upgrade in the future. Therefore I was thinking of having a 1” distribution pipe along the bottom of the tank with ¼” outlets. I would have a total of 8 outlets and I would plug 4 of them for future pump upgrade. I would have 4 x ¼” outlets that I would like to direct the flow. I was trying to find ¼” hose fitting and hook up a section of vinyl hose and position these in the rock to direct flow, but the smallest I have been able to find is ½”. Maybe I should just go with ½” outlets instead? 4 total and 2 plugged? I would then have ½” hose fitting and vinyl hose to direct the flow the best I can. Should I strive for circular flow? I was also planning on adding a couple of powerheads to provide additional circulation.

I would highly suggest you use the biggest pipe you can afford (space wise) from the pump to the tank.... particularly if you are pumping from a basement. The head pressure you get from frictional losses in 1" pipe is close to a factor of 10 greater than from using 2".... and the $$ cost difference is minimal.

You can always choke it down at the tank to get velocity, but if the volume isn't there you are stuck.

A distribution pipe such as you relate will eventually get plugged, so retain access to clean or replace it.

Look at penductors/eductors for increasing velocity (at some expense of psi), or loc-line (LL). Bear in mind that LL will leak eventually, so do not have it in an area that is not over water. The epitome is LL with an eductor on the end!

http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/control/product/~product=PF-PCEDC-0750-M

Back