I need ideas for a new skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
I'm going to build a new zoanthid tank myself and I want to get some suggestions for a hang-on skimmer.
The tank is going to be a little over 50 gallons ( 30" x 20" x 20" ) with a 25 gallon sump.
I don't really have much room in the sump. The stand was not built with a skimmer in mind. Kind of short.

I have a brand new SWC BH100F and a new atman pump is on the way, but I'm having second thoughts about using this skimmer. It's a little too big and bulky.

I plan on this tank being a zoanthid tank with maybe a few mini's and a couple small fish.

What would be a good small hang-on skimmer that is smaller than the SWC BH 100F, but would be able to easily handle a 75 gallon system?
It's 13" x 17" x 4" and add another 4" inside the tank for the suction and return lines.

Thanks Mark.
There are 2 others I've noticed.
One is the SXC Mini Hot and the AquaMaxx Hob 1 or 2
What's your opinion on these?

Thanks Mark.
There are 2 others I've noticed.
One is the SXC Mini Hot and the AquaMaxx Hob 1 or 2
What's your opinion on these?

the aquamaxx hob is the JNS hob skimmer rebranded,
i linked you to one, it 's a great skimmer, powered by a sicce silence pump,
an excellent pump with no start up issues like the sicce psk 2500,

the SWC mini hob is great too, but it might be a tad small for 75g total.

im curious, did you get the atmann pump for the bh-100 from SWC??
is it coming with a venturi as well? because that skimmer has the pump
attached to the skimmer body via a screw on venturi that locks the pump in place.
also, did they say which atmann pump they were sending you??
that might be a better option for you, despite it's larger size bothering you.

also, what is the footprint and height restrictions for a skimmer in your sump?

Last edited:
im curious, did you get the atmann pump for the bh-100 from SWC??
is it coming with a venturi as well? because that skimmer has the pump
attached to the skimmer body via a screw on venturi that locks the pump in place.
also, did they say which atmann pump they were sending you??
that might be a better option for you, despite it's larger size bothering you.

I got the atman 1100 with the white venturi, from Luke.
Came today.
I did get it attached to the fitting in the skimmer box, but I had to take off one of the silicone washers that was with the resun pump. I suspect it was a vibration dampener, so I may have to find a different fitting to hold the pump in the box. A trip to HD or Lowes will be a easy one.

The sump is the one I bought from you when you lived in Ballard.
The area where I would use a skimmer is only 6-1/2" wide, by about 7" to 8".
With about 17" in height, but it would have be in the sump when it goes back in the stand, with no room to remove it without removing the sump at the same time.

well, crap, if you already got that atmann, I think you should try it on the bh-100f,
the fact that the reaction chamber is so big on that makes it a good size for your tank,
if you can live with how it looks. The white venturi is pretty important,much better than the existing venturi on the resun,
so I would try to use that one.
maybe a drop of super glue to keep it in place, but not enough to prevent you from taking it off again for cleaning, or some extra plumbers tape to tighten the fit.

Thanks Mark.
The main reason I am not thrilled with the size of this skimmer is, it is going on a new tank I am building.
It's going to be 3/8" startfire glass, rimless and I will be using a ATI Sunpower 6 x 24 watt fixture.
Hoping to keep it clean looking.
Plus I was concerned about the weight on it hanging on the back wall of the tank. I can ease that concern by building a platform to take the weight off the tank, but that is one more thing to deal with.

There is one benefit to using a hob skimmer. I won't be neglecting the clean schedule on it.:)

Back