I need know, what corals can I mix?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

HAlcalay

I currently have a 70 gallon AGA with 24 gallon sump and run Charcoal in a sep filter in the sump. I have three mushrooms (ricordea) and a couple of clove and stary polyps. Also have xenia (2 kinds). I would like to have a stag or other branching sps but have heard that it isn't wise to mix the soft corals with the sps. Is it ok since I rund charcoal? or is it ok regardless.

Thanks.

I run a full mixed reef with SPS, LPS, Clams and Softies its very doable with heavy filtration but much more of challenge to keep everybody happy & safe. Certain combinations are fairly safe like Xenia's, Sarcophytons (toadstools) and Lobophytums (finger leathers) with most sps and some lps corals but alot of mushrooms will kill on contact. Depending on what type of Star Polyp (GSP) you may have they can be very aggressive chemically speaking or simply overgrow there rivals. One great way in learning what will & will not go together is pictures of mature reeftanks or close-ups of actual wild reefs to see in detail what is living/growing next to each other. The old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words" really applies here. Check out the Members Showcase forum here on RF.

Happy researching, Todd

I have a fully mixed reef with softies, LPS, SPS, and everything inbetween! You just need the proper lighting, flow, and filtration.

Back