I need some Lighting/general help...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bored4ever86

Ok So I bought a used 125g show tank (crazy move up from my 14g biocube).
The shape is kinda odd:
_______
l:D:D:Dl
\_____/
(top view, emotes as placeholders)
At any rate the previous owner hung something on on one of the diagonal fronts and hence had to reseal the seam on the front right corner. The seam is pretty messy (silicone over the viewing glass) and if anyone has some tips on cleaning it up (yes I know very carefully) they would be appreciated.

To my main question(s)...

the specs on the tank are:
51" across the back, 24" front to back, and 28" tall
in tank sump (left side back corner)
about 4-5" of clearance abover waterline to lid
3-piece glas lid covered with black plastic to match tank

I plan to do a FOWLR and potentially (WAY in the future) some hardier corals (i'll prob kill the corals with my luck)

What lighting would be best for me?
I can't do a pendant because my mom wouldn't appreciate the lights hanging from the ceiling. I'd rather stay away from MH's cause of costs associated with them/heat, but if they are my only/best option I may consider them (I may need some coaxing here). My budget for lighting is pretty open ended but I'd much rather be spending the money in other parts of the tank if I can.

Thanks for any and all help

For a tank that deep, unless you want to spend quite a bit on a good individual reflector t-5 fixture, mh would be the only way to keep coral farther then half way down in the tank. For just FOWLR use, a 48" fluorescent fixture from petsmart will work. Get a twin tube one and you're looking at 80w of light if I remember right.

Back