I quater found in LR bin...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

busdriver

I was giving the oppertuity it grab a bunch of stuff out of a LR tub/bin that was ignored/neglected... no pumps or heaters. It didn't smell that bad. I didn't really notice any smell. as i was going through it I found a quarter. It didn't look toooo bad, but it was white-ish. I'll try to get a pic... i wiki'd it and it said it was made up of 91.67% Cu and 8.33% Ni

so should i use polyfilter or rowaphos type of a thing...
can i test for Cu?
I only found one dead bristle worm and some sponges. there was loads of gravel/rubble and silt.

I would just cure the rock, it's nickel coated copper. I don't see it being any worse that dipping fish and then adding them to the tank, thats just me maybe someone else might know better

Just a suggestion from me.

If you break a small piece of rock off and pulverize it into sand size particles, then put it in a test vial with some tank water and leave it for a couple days any "Cu" will leach out into the water which will then be testable with a copper kit.

Boomer in the chemistry forum may be a better one to ask.

Chad

If the cladding is still there then I wouldnt worry about it. If its gone then I'd test.

Don

Thanks for your reply's. you both are probably right. i did let it get too cold after i got it (left it in the back of the truck for 2 days in the poly boxes)
True, this is more of a chemistry question... If i don't get very many responses i'll asked to get this moved...

live rock dose have the ability to leach copper out of it if it has sucked it in id run it in a fresh tank for a couple of days and then test for copper

Back