I-Tech Protein Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I think you can contact and order directly from them. It's have good rating and much cheaper then ATB, Buble Master.

This skimmer is getting alot of good revews from other forums. I've been reading up on it. The pics I've seen looks good. The price even better. It looks like they are still playing around with different designs and pumps though. From what I've read and seen I think they would be decent skimmers. The more skimmer manufacturers the more competition the cheaper they get. Sounds like good news to me!!

ouch. hes blowing away the competition already and his first skimmer hasnt come out yet !

it has nothing to do with my skimmers...:)
the existing cone skimmers on the market blow away these skimmers...
you'll never see one of these up against a sicce powered cone, and win.
and the guy has sworn off sicce pumps but is using tunze pumps...
hmmmm, guess who makes virtually all tunze pumps??? ...lol
plus the bubbleplate design he's using puts more backpressure on his pumps and cuts power too....
he basically ripped off the ATB design, but doesnt do it very well...

luke...what say ye??? am i being hyper critical??? lol

Last edited:
When is your 1st skimmer coming out anyhow Mark? Do you have a cone design in the works and when will they be in production? From everything and everywhere I read it is all about cone skimmers. Would the traditional cylinder body skimmer eventually be obselete in a few years? Is it even worth considering a traditional style skimmer over a cone when the cones are getting cheaper and more affordable as I type this? I eventually in time will go to a cone skimmer. There are so many choices to pick from nowadays. How ever I can't wait to see what type of design and how sexy and sleek looking your skimmer will be.:D

thanks guys..i appreciate the really kind words, and you all will be the first to know when my cone skimmers are ready, (realistically I'm looking at the first proto's being done in a month or so). but lets not derail this nice guy's thread...lol
even though I'm a pro thread derailer, i know...:p

...and maybe i am being a little harsh on i-tech too, so take what i say with a grain of salt, i guess compared to other fledgling skimmer companies they aren't that bad, and, i have yet to hold one in my hands...

For the price one could just change the pump and still save a lot if money was the only concern. I think we will see a lot more come out before we move on to even another design. My buddy is comming out with a dual automated recirc that shuts down the feed via a trick valve that tripples or even quadrupals the contact time.

Don

I think those I-Tech cones looks great. And Mark, they do offer one with the a Sicce so I'm not sure where you are getting your info from. I was on the list for one but came across an ATB before I made the order. John is a great guy though and I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

they have a thread on RC for I-tech skimmer owners like they do for ASM or Octo extreme

not trying to have you go over there but just letting you know if you wanted to see what people though about them

dont know what one you are looking at but i would be looking at the SWC 1A Cone skimmer it got a great review by i guy on RC. What i really like it that you have the option of running it in recirculation.I like that the Askoll pump connects to the SWC cone by a union. Rather than the silicone tubing used before.

I just order the 200 model with the Tunze pump, but shipping is a killer. It'll be hear next Thursday. I can wait to replace my ASM Skimmer.

From John and they have a website up and running. First I email them and they called me back for order information. you have an option on getting your own Pump or you can buy from them. The 200 model with doesn't need Alteration to the stock venturi on the Tunze pump but the 100 model does. Here is the website: www.i-techskimmers.com

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the Itech's. They are built with 1/8" acrylic, have seams, are all hand made. There not as fancy as the other cone's but they work fine. There sicce mods only pull 600lph so there not modded to hot, but that may be enough for there bodies. I think if they made the necks larger they would be better. I don't think there prices are that great once you get to the 200 model though as there are cone's out there a bit larger that pull more air for 500bux. Cone's are coming down in price. I do hear they have nice CS. So I wish em the best.

OK I will chime in, I have the 100 model and has worked great for me it is easy to adust & clean. It replaced a Euro Reef skimmer and it pulls three times the skimmate that it would in a week. I have mine running with an aquabee pump, they are also testing it with tunze pumps as well. John is a great guy and I think he makes a great skimmer. I got one of the early models at a discount and it was worth every penny. The build quality is very good IMO. I have seen (threads on another site) the Itech skimmers tested against Bubble Kings, ATB's etc. in the same sumps (side by side) and the Itech pulled just as much or more as the other high dollar skimmers. I am not going to get into the great skimmer debate but I am really happy with my Itech. Here are some pics...

DSCF3879.jpg

DSCF3878.jpg

i was prolly being a little too hard on them then, :cry:
i've gotten pretty persnickety about skimmer quality as of late,
and considering that most of us dont play contact sports with our skimmers, the build quality is probably just fine.
if you bought one pumpless, with a bigger neck as luke suggested,and put a nicely modded sicce or askoll/laguna it would probably be great.

so how's that for a 180??? lol
and like i said, i havent held one in my hands either. and in their defense, the pics i've seen of their more recent skimmers look a great deal better than the ones i first saw from a several months ago, too..

oh and your right rick, im sorry, he does sell them with sicce pumps. but not mesh modded, and i dont think he is going to continue, as he has plans to use the tunze pumps exclusively once they work out the warrany issues of modification.

Last edited:
Back