i think my plate is dying

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cookie

cat
I have had a long tentacle plate coral for about 2 weeks and about a quarter of it has kind of melted off leaving just the skeleton. Is there anything I can do to help my little guy out?

here are a couple pictures...

Is it getting too much flow? A plate skeleton is very sharp. Anything that bothers the coral, including too much flow, can cause the flesh to be cut on the skeleton. This will cause considerable damage and could cause what you're seeing.

I have moved it to a lower flow area. Is it possible that it will make a recovery?

I had one of my plate corals do the same thing randomly - likely due to a PH swing I believe.

Anyhow - I moved to to a TLC tank, and after a few months the dead area started to bud into a few new little sections of flesh... Not sure if it continued to grow though as I sold it about that time - but I do know that I have seen them begin to regrow on the dead skeleton.

The tissue loss I saw was a lot like RTN - once it stopped, everything was happy again, you just have to fix whatever started the initial tissue bailout.

Looks like there is alot of sand on it. Do you have a gobie that is putting sand on it. That can sometimes kill it off where sand is sitting on it.

Back