Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

shortbus

I want to add one more tang to my tank to go with my yellow tang
I need suggestions please
I will try to get one the same size or bigger than my yellow
I have a 90g
Thanks
Ken

be very careful i had a yellow tang in my old 120gal tank for about 6month thinking it was big enough to add another tang,but it wasn't,i added a blue tang and the yellow tang just keep on nibble on it and fighting the blue tang i try to take out the yellow tang and put it in a 30gal isolation tank for a while then put him back in about a week,but that didn't work so i watch him like a hawk and everytime he try to attack the blue tang i try to scare him away till one morning i saw the yellow tang normal again,yeah right i found the blue tang in the back of the lr dead:( :mad:

so all i say is watch out of the yellow tang he very territory,even worse if he been in your tank for a long time:)

Consider one of the rabbitfishes. Depending on the size of your tang, you could probably find a larger rabbitfish pretty easily. They are not aggressive, but can certainly hold their own, being venemous.

I think a cole would be ok I have a yellow and a cole in a 4 ft 60g rubbermaid. They turned into buddies. I think the cole is the best choice for a smaller tank.
I am soon to switch everything into a 170. I'll have a Cole, a Yellow, a Purple, and a Powder Blue. I'll have tons of rock but I think that's pushing it, I hope it works out.

shortbus said:
I want to add one more tang to my tank to go with my yellow tang
I need suggestions please
I will try to get one the same size or bigger than my yellow
I have a 90g
Thanks
Ken

What other fish do you have in the system?

I wouldnt add another tang to a 90 gallon. Kole's have a different shape and are a different species, but I would bet the yellow will beat on it and kill it.
If you're determined to keep two tangs in your 90, I would suggest you see if you can trade your yellow in at the LFS and get two smaller tangs of different species. IE, a Kole and a Yellow, or a Purple and a Blue, etc...

Intorducing the two simultaneously will increase your chances for success in keeping multiple tangs in a tank that size.

Nick

Thanks for all the advice
I have a coral beauty that has taken a liking to my xenia and mowed down 3 of 4 patches in my tank
So my plan was to trade the CB and pick up another tang
I have had the YT for 18 months or so and he dose rule the tank
So maybe it would be better to get ride of both and pick up 2 new tangs
Would 3 tangs be pushing it, if I got rid of the YT & CB?

Chevron
Power blue
Purple

With out the other 2 fish I would have
2 Clowns
1 Green mandarin
1- Bicolor Blenny
1- Red Scooter Blenny

90 g tank, 30g sump with cheato
ASM g3 skimmer

I am in the planning stages of a 8’ tank 2 years, would 3 tangs out grow my 90 in two years [probably so]
Thanks for the input
Ken

Would 3 tangs be pushing it, if I got rid of the YT & CB?
Chevron
Power blue
Purple

I wouldnt reccomend that at all. The Powder Blue and the Purple are generally recognized as some of the meanest and most territorial tangs kept by hobbyist's, and the Chevron, while gorgous as a juvenile, gets to be 11 inches in overall length.
So maybe it would be better to get ride of both and pick up 2 new tangs

One thing to keep in mind is the fishes adult size. I'd reccomend no less than 6 times the fishes adult size when choosing one for your tank. Your 90 should be 48 inches in length. I wouldnt suggest anything larger than a 8-9 inch fish for that reason. This will give the fish more room to move and act more naturally. One other thing to keep in mind is that tangs are fish that live in high energy zones of the reef, they really like high flow in their tank. If your fish is "pacing" in the tank, they dont have enough water movement to put them at ease.
HTH,

Nick

I think the main thing is to get tangs with different boby sizes. Ones that don't look like one another. Like a yellow and a cole. That is why I am afraid of my yellow and purple fighting. Plus the cole and tang eat different things, the yellow has pointed mouth and picks at things, the cole has a wide mouth and teeth for rasping or scraping, and would not compete for food but complement each other.

Ken,
Sorry for not replying earlier...works been keeping me pretty busy lately.

I would suggest just like ahenson suggested, two tangs of different species.

I have a Tomini tang and will be transitioning it over to a 120 and simultaneously adding a purple to the tank. I think you'd be fine adding a Kole and a Yellow or a Kole and a Purple. Purple grow to about 9 inches, and Kole's are about 5-6 in over all length. I would try to add them at the same time, but if thats not possible, put the Kole in first, they are kinda wimps.

Nick

Well I set up my 170 and all four (yellow, purple, cole and powder blue) swim in a pack along with the foxface, I was very pleased and surprised.
Andy

I didnt read the other post shortbus, but im my opinion a 90gal is to small for two medium-large tangs, so if you had a back-up plan you could have two small ones. And i read alot of people telling me that you should try not to keep two tangs together because they will fight, but from my own personal experience i had a YT that was dominant in my tank and i added a very small blue tang and after 2 days they were "snuggling" eachother and are great buddies.+

Back