I want to use a herbie!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

myindoorocean

In the interest of keeping my overflow box as small as possible, we only put 2 holes in it - 3/4" for return, 1-1/2" for overflow. I'm trying to talk myself into using a herbie style overflow with one pipe, and I think I've done it. Let me know if you think my logic is faulty.

My tank size inside is 23" x 53" x 20", with 1-1/2" empty at the top. My overflow is 8" x 8". My sump inside is 15" x 45" x 15". My normal water level is at 11", so there is 4" empty at the top. My return chamber in the sump is 6" x 15" x 12".

If I don't have the gate valve dialed in properly, the level in the overflow will go down or up. If it goes down, that will mean there will be more water in the sump. The volume of the whole overflow is approximately 4.5 gallons, and the volume of the empty area at the top of the sump is 11.7 gallons, so no problems there.

If the level in the overflow goes up, either because of the gate valve being out of adjustment or something blocking the drain, the tank level will rise and the sump level will go down, but only from the return chamber. The total volume of the return chamber is 4.7 gallons, so if it empties all the way, it would not overflow the tank because the available volume in the tank/overflow is 8.7. So no problem there, as far as overflow goes.

I will be getting a leak detector module for my Neptune controller, which allows me to have up to 4 water sensors. I would put 1 on the outside of the stand in back, one on the floor of the stand, and I think I could wire a float valve into one of the remaining ports. I would put the float valve in the return chamber of the sump, so that if it dropped too low it would turn off the return pump to avoid it running without water. I could also put a float switch near the top of the tank to turn off the pump if it happened to get too full, but I don't think this is possible. There isn't enough water in the return chamber to overflow the tank, and the rest of the water in the sump just sits there. If I get more water into the sump, that means there is more empty volume in the tank to handle it.

One possible issue is the ATO. If the volume gets too high in the overflow and it goes down in the return chamber, the ATO is going to come on. If it's on for too long I suppose it could add a bunch of water to the system, though the osmolator will only run for 10 minutes and then it will go off. With the pump I'm using it will put a half gallon max in in 10 minutes, then it turns off until it gets reset. So that wouldn't affect the system.

Actually, the biggest problem I think would be the possibility of fluctuation in the return chamber, which would mess with the osmolator.

Can anyone see a flaw in my logic? It's entirely possible!

NO CAN DO ! A Herbie needs an emergency overflow. Even with the numbers working out there's still to many possible negative scenarios. I would either #1 set up a working Herbie and run return over the top or #2 setup a Durso with what you are already set for. From personal experience.... don't mess with proven overflow systems.

Cheers, Todd

Hey Todd, what are the negative scenarios? I'm trying to understand what could go wrong. What did you have happen? I'm trying the durso system, but the noise is too much, especially from the bubbles in the sump. It sounds like a hot tub!

Hey Matt, you know how things in this hobby most always go awry when we are not home to catch it quickly.... in this case/scenario you are away for weekend with family and only hours after you've left a snail or fish or macro algae or fragmented piece of soft coral gets sucked down your only overflow and blocks it. Your sensors go off for no one to hear as the return section runs dry, return pump is automatically turned off til reset... maybe ???, OH! it's also Winter time in Spokane and two days later when you return your DT is a frigid 52* brrrrrr which helps to keep the dead fish and coral odor down. Your sump is a nice 78* and super clean from being over skimmed YIKES!
I would seriously look into a SeaSwirl for your return on a over the edge bracket and run a real Herbie, I really like my Herbie setup and is dead silent when in tune.

Cheers, Todd

Yes the big issue here will be the ATO. There should be a second level indicator switch. The first one will be for the ATO since the water level goes down slow then ATO can catch up with water level.

But if the water level went down faster than the ATO can catch up, then it will trigger the 2nd level (lower) switch indicator and will turn off the return pump. There should be a delay for 10 minutes or something before it turns it on, or else you will have and very fast on and off happening on your return pump and this might cause it to die prematurely.

Another alternative is to have the ATO get its water to a reservoir and not directly plumb. Example, a 5 gallon jug will give you number of days before you need refilling. And this also gives you extra level of protection. In case there is a malfunction on your return then you only dump 5 gallon fresh water to your tank. The size of the jug should be proportional on your tank size in order not to change salinity the salinity suddenly.

Hope this makes sense

OK Todd, nice scenario. I think you've made me a believer. I may try to make the durso setup work first, see if I can get it to be quiet enough. I think I need to have a bubble trap/tower of some type though. I really like the idea of the herbie, though, so I may go with the over-the-top. I'll look at the sea swirl.

Thanks Katchupoy for the other things to think about. I really need to keep thinking...

I don't really want to use a SeaSwirl. I'm trying to keep this thing as clean as possible. I'd like to as unobtrusively as possible come over the top then back down to the hole I have drilled in the front of the overflow, if possible. Is there something black that looks good?

If you dont have the safety overflow then it isn't a herbie. Its simply an overflow with a gate valve on it and it will fail. Trust me, I flooded my office more than once and I can assure you your other half will not be happy. I would recommend using the 3/4 as a fail safe overflow and run your return over the back. It wont stick out like a sore thumb as much as you think.

If your just setting it up, have your LFS drill another bulkhead into it.

Hey Matt, here is a link to MD and an inexpensive over the top return that may work for you ???
http://www.marinedepot.com/U_Tube_with_Directional_Return_3_4_inch_1_inch_Returns_Plumbing_Parts-Plumbing_Parts-FT0001-FIFTRP-FT0011-vi.html

Depending on volume of return pump and where overflow box is drilled out.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:
And theres more to worry about when it comes to Herbie!!!

2515502-herbie1.png

I'm using an eheim 1262, it's a lot of volume, it seems like to me.

I've seen this item, it looks perfect except that I would really like to plumb it in to the return as it sits. Here's what it looks like:

img0182nc.jpg

If I came over the top right even with the bulkhead, it might be right in the middle of the waterfall that's coming out of the coast-to-coast. I think I'm going to try to make a durso work. The loudest noise is where the overflow pipe comes into the sump. The air is very turbulent.

Maybe something like this. Obviously wouldn't need it all, but it would look clean.

Custom Flo Fill Kit:
Unique complete components to design and build almost any combination of water return and filter intake for single aquariums or custom sump or refugiams. Venturi generators and various flow controls with multiple elbows, tube adapters, and directional jets to allow many flow possibilities.
Item #
Description
Price
3-6
PACFK​
CustomFloCompleteKit.jpg

CustomFlo Kit
includes hose barb fittings for 1/2" and 3/4" hose​
$45.00​
CALL​
PACF-SK​
CustomFloSK.jpg

Custom-Flo Starter Kit
fits 5/8" ID hose
includes 2 over the top fittings with suction cups & hose barbs, 2 flow control valves , 1 suction intake screen, 1 coupling bracket with suction cup, 1 elbow bracket w suction cup, 2 pipe elbowsbarb x slip, 2 end caps thd, 1 pipe cap slip w/ suction cup, 1 spray bar, short 7/16" ID flex tubing, 1 ball socket flex 1/2.​
$15.99​
CALL​

over the top isnt so bad, you really done see it as your looking at other stuff in the tank.

this is my return, 1" PVC bushed down to 3/4" loc line

[/

I'm absolutely with Java on this one. I couldn't imagine buying a fitting when an over the back return si as simple as two 90's, or as shown in the pic, a threaded 90 with locline fittings. The latter route is far better IMO. Also. by getting rid of the bulkhead in your overflow you will reduce the noise by 80% from lack of water splashing off of the return plumbing as it fall into the overflow box.

Back