Ice Cap ballast

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wieselsport

I just picked up an ice cap ballast to replace the cheap odyssea unit i had before.

I have it wired up and now i cant get the bulb to light up. It will give me a flicker a couple seconds after pluging it in but it wont lite up. The bulb worked hours before. I have no idea whats happening.

Ryan

Check your wiring diagram. See if you wired it for a 430 instead of a 660. The instructions are for both ballasts, not model specific, so don't filp pages just until you see a diagram, make sure your on the 660page. I have NEVER done that before, but heard it could happen. Best of luck. Jason

My computer went out on me so i havent had a light or a computer for a couple days now.

So the ballast is for a 150 w MH its HQI. i dont know if that helps at all. I didnt see a diagram for a 330 or 660???

i dont think you can wire a hqi ballast to a vho/t5 bulbs. can you? anyone chime in? i believe vho and t5 lights require special ballasts

It is kinda hard to wire a MH ballast up wrong, my bet is your using the wrong ballast to that lamp in particular, it is very important to get the right ballast for the right lamp. So you said it is a 150 watt Metal halide, HQI ballast right? What is the lamp your trying to light? Is it probe or pules start?

Most ballast here in the US are probe start, no igniter needed.

http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlpip/lightingAnswers/mwmhl/differenceProbePulse.asp

The ballast is an icecap electronic. Supposed to light any type MH bulb of correct wattage. Pretty much has to be one of the following in order of probability:
Wire is loose or backwards, Bulb is bad, Bulb is wrong wattage, or Ballast is bad.

Yup I agree, I was thinking tar!
Bad thing you could of damaged the lamp also!

I don't think it would hurt anything to have the white & black swapped though, so I'm guessing the other!

Back