Icecap E ballast + Ushio 10K 250w

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reeftank1

Do you digiscope?
I have been running new Icecap e ballasts with Ushio 10K 250 bulbs for 6 weeks. After getting them out of the box and installing them 3 of the 4 work perfect. The last one (of course - always seems to be) is the problem child. I purchased them all through P. Garden Supply with my reflectors and have been dealing with Dan there to help me.

The last one - When it fired the first time and then at lease 5 additional times it will light start the warm up sequence and stop within a minute. I wondered about the frequency not matching or something else. So as a test Dan sent me a Luminarc generic "12K test bulb" and I tried it and of course it works fine. Back to put the first Ushio in and it does not work as before. So what can this be?

Next I swapped the bulb and ballast with one of the other new ballasts and same thing - the Ushio bulb seems to be the problem. So, I sent it back and Dan sent me another Ushio as we figured that since everything was new and the bulb acts the same in either ballast it has got to be a bad bulb.

Round two - The new next new Ushio goes in and now same story - It does not go beyond the firing and a bit of light and then out it goes. Puth the generic in and it works fine.

One other thing on the last ushio he sent me it makes a humm and a bit of vibration on the metal framing inside as it heats up and shimmering until it has been lit for 3-5 minutes and then the shimmer or flicker stabalizes.

Ideas?

Back