Ich!! How can i get rid of it from my tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Rycko_427

emerald crab
I recently found out that my tank has Ich in it. One of my fish died from it and so I wanna get rid of it asap so I can get more fish and start growing some coral. What is the best/fastest way to get rid of it?? Currently all that is in my tank is about 10lbs of live rock, 7 snails, and 8 hermit crabs. Is there any possibility that snails and crabs can get sick too?? And what can I do to prevent my tank from having Ich in it again??

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated:)
Thanks!

Regarding garlic: The people who make money in this hobby are not fools. If the hobbyists want garlic juice in their products, they will put it in. They can't afford to not be seen to be competitive. So the myth just gets larger and larger.

The value of garlic juice is in the first few minutes that it is made. It is a potent antibacterial agent the garlic plant uses to fend off bacteria after an insect attack, or damage. Notice: antibacterial is the key.

Marine Ich is not a bacteria. It's a parasite in the family of ciliated protozoan. To a microbiologist, the difference is large between these two terms.

Fresh garlic juice is an irritant to protozoans, but not a treatment, not a cure, and not much else.

Regarding immunity, knowing more and understanding immunity should be the goal of the hobbyist before they spread myths about fish immunity and garlic. I spent a lot of time writing these posts on stressors, but there are others I could write about fish immunity if there is an interest here for that. Fish Stress – General; and Fish Stress – A Technical/Physiological Approach.

The bottom line (after learning what fish immunity is, and that there are two types: innate and adaptive) is that old garlic juice may help/aid the innate immunity. BUT the innate immunity is not enough to fend off obligate parasites, like Marine Ich. [Unfortunately]

Last edited:
Back