ICH I beleive

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

poakley723

Before I get a rash of $heeesssshhhh. I am also reading all the posts on ich, hyposalinity and medications.

Definatly Ich as far as I have found. The thing that is throwing me for a loop it that he still eats like a maniac, does not have accelerated resperation and does not rub on rocks. Are there any other deaseses this could be? I have everything to set up a QT tank except the actual tank. I am probably just going to buy a 10g tank and run it. Should I put copper medicine in the QT tank or just let him get better by himself? I have recently bought a yellow tang. Could he be stressing out the Hippo Tang. They seem to hang out togather but are not fighting, just eating and stuff. Any infor or opinion will be usefull.

All my tank peramiters were checked two days ago.

Salinity 1.027
phosphates at or near 0
nitrates at or near 0
Cacium over 520
Mag 1120
KH 8
Temp 78

Ichytang.jpg

Last edited:
You are correct, it is ich. ALL fish need to be treated and tank left fallow for 60 days or more. Good on reading up on hypo, Cu and tank treatments. Theye need to be done right.

What would be the best approch for this. At this time I don't have PH meter, which as i read, I would need to do the hyposalinity treatment. Also I can't just go out and buy a big enough tank to house my fish. Would doing one fish at a time in a copper treated 20g tank work. Some of my smaller fish it would be no problem to treat in the 20 but I don't think I can keep all my fish in this little tank for any extended time. I have a Hippo tang, Yellow tang, clown, Coral beauty, Scooter Blenny, red spotted goby, and Leopard wrasse.

WOW i wish I had spent the 40 bucks on a QT tank to begin with.

I heard from a friend theres this new treatment thats reef safe and actually works? It wouldnt hurt to look into poakley!

I'm not sure what it is ill have to ask my buddy! If it works it would be amazing in the past ive tryed some products and they were boo boo! He saids there not kidding it works! Ill let you guys know when i hear from him!

Any medication treatments that will kill Ich, will also kill other inverts in your tank. Ich is an invert, just like pods, mysid shrimp and such. Ich treatments that say "reef safe," may not kill your corals, maybe...but will kill other things in your tank... If they're truly reef safe, they wouldn't kill Ich.

I heard from a friend theres this new treatment thats reef safe and actually works?

100% hype, designed to sell product in lieu of cure fish. Either buy the copper test kit that matches the type copper you desire to use (advanced skill level remedy) Or get a refractometer which your really should have anyway is keeping marine life. With this can do a proper hypo. One fish at time will not cure the tank which has the Ich critters swimming around looking for fish to munch on. Keep reading, it will all make sense. Remember, if this hobby was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Unfortunately, Mike's right. Hey, I just posted that same sentence on this thread earlier...lol.

You'll need to treat ALL fish at the same time AND keep your display tank fishless for at least 8 weeks. Even if you use copper treatment, which can be faster than hypo, but takes very critical testing, IF you return the fish to the display before all the Ich in the display are dead, they'll just become re-infested. Because of the life cycle of Ich, they have to have NO fish to munch on for 8 weeks. This gives all the current Ich time to lay eggs, and for those eggs to hatch, lay eggs and so on...and then die, because of no fish to eat.

thats jus what i heard from a friend! Hype im sure it is, i always qt when something like this happens which hasnt happen to me in a min. My bad i wasnt tryin to lead you poakley in the wrong direction, from what i heard its a new treatment that works! As far as im concern it could be hear say! You cant judge inless you try it! Ive tryed almost everything when this happen to me, and none of it worked! You never know that might have found a remedy.

I have a refractometer but I don't have a PH meter or an extra 80g plus tank laying around to put my fish in for 8 weeks. Who does? The way I see it I am kind of forced to look into other options. Especialy with my leopard wrasse. He needs a sand bed to live in.

I am open to options and ideas other people have.

You could pull the coral and inverts out into a different setup while you hypo the entire tank. I have done this with a 72 before. Worked well for me, but I have no idea why you would need a large tank for:
Coral Beauty angel
Hippo Tang
Leopard Wrasse
Scooter Blenny
Clown Fish

You don't need a pH meter for hypo - all you need for hypo is a refractometer. The liquid drop test kits will work fine to monitor pH, as long as you can interpolate the colors between the saltwater and freshwater color cards. With 1.009 salinity, you're not really saltwater, and not really freshwater, so the colors don't match exactly. But it's close enough. While pH meter would be nice if you have money to burn, it's not a required thing in my opinion.

Back