Ich-Predator?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

delphinus

Hello,

In Japan some shops sell bivalves (e.g. Pinna muricata, Pinctada fucata, Isognomon acutirostris, and so on) as "Ich-Predators". They insist that these clams eat Ich's theronts or protomonts through their filtration eating habit. I think some Japanese aquarists believe this hypothesis, but some regards as a hoax. How do you think? I searched but found no information of this myth. If you have any infomation, could you show me the references? Regards,

Last edited:
Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

I have never heard that about clams. I have a hard time believing that it would cure an ich problem, though. If the clam didn't ingest all the theronts, then the problem would still exist. Very interesting. I'll see if I can dig up any more information.

Welcome to ReefFrontiers :)

Clams can filter protozoa and flagellates as a source of nutrition, for that matter so can snails but like a UV steralizer, they cannot effectively eliminate a parasite from the system. At best they will only marginally reduce the quantity of theronts in the water. If they are being sold as any kind of cure or control, it's a complete myth.

Cheers
Steve

Living Protein Skimmer?

Thanks very much for your informations. Could I ask one more related question ?
In Japan some challenging aquarist believed that Giant Pacific Oyster (Crassostrea gigas) works as "live" protein skimmer as well Ich-Predator. They sometimes buy living oysters from supermarkets (not petshop), and introduce their aquarium. I'm very suspicious of this method. The oysters at the supermarkets are dying. If they died in hobbyist's aquarium, it's nightmare. But some Japanese challengers say "Supermarkets' Oysters are fine and more effective than mechanical protein skimmer" How do you think?. Any help you can give me on this would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I think that clam and oyster beds are a method of filtration. It would be a unstable method, and like you said, what happens to your 5000-20000$ reef tank when 1 or 5 die off. Dont think I would risk it, just for the cost of a protein skimmer.

Back