Ich Problem In Quarentine

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bbauer

I know this question has been answered in countless threads, but I would like your help in solving this problem in my exact circumstance. I Have aquired a 3" porcupine puffer that I would like to add to my 110 tall FOWLER tank. Its been about a week and a half of quarantine time and he has developed many white spots on him that I believe to be ich. Its takin me a while to find this type of fish so I would like to try to save him. My quarantine is a 10 gallon tank with 1 1/2 inches of crushed coral, a small piece of live rock, a log decoration for him to hide in, a small heater that keep the water about 78 - 79 degrees, and a small whisper filter that uses carbon bags for filtration. How should I go about bringing him back to healthy standards. Please give me any information on bringing him back to health. water is at 1.025
Thank You

I would use hyposalinity, for 4-6 weeks after the spot go away. you would need to remove the live rock.

There are alot of ich kick products out their, I used a combo of antibiotics and vitamin supplements. It came packaged together, two bottles, about 16 ounces each. About $20, lasts for about 3 weeks, I used it for 6 weeks and my ich on my tang was gone. Sorry I can't remember the name. Black lablel, one lid is white, the other is black.

Garlic and "reef-safe" medications are largely wishful thinking when dealing with ich. If you want something that definitely works, use either hyposalinity or copper (not both). As mentioned above, for hypo keep the salinity at exactly 1.009 (or 1.008) but not above. Ich can survive above 1.009. I prefer hypo over copper, since it doesn't ruin the tank for future invert inhabitants, plus I think it's easier to control. Both hypo and copper can kill the fish if not done accurately, though.

Back