Ich/QT Tank clean up

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

smitty

I am in the final stages of curing my BC29 of ICH. The tank has been fallow for nine weeks, my 6 line Wrasse has been in the OT tank undergoing a hyposalinty treatment. My question is, when I move the Wrasse back to the cube what do I need to do to my QT tank as far as sterilizing it & making it a QT tank for new fish again? Will a vinegar solution soak & wash be good enough? Also I was using a HOB filter (with a sponge) can I reuse it after proper cleaning & toss it back in my sump?

I'm unsure why a sterilizing is needed. If the fish was cured of Marine Ich, then there is no Marine Ich in the QT, right? Wash out, rinse well, let dry, or keep it running for the quarantine of your next marine life form. Same with the sponge filter -- it's free of parasites IF the fish was cured. It can be reused. However, I never do. For me, not worth cleaning out. They are so inexpensive, I just buy a new one.

One of the advantages of using the hypo method is that there are no chemicals in the QT. So, there is no need for any special cleaning of the QT for the sake of chemical residue.

:)

Good point. It has been cured, just a bit gun shy I guess. I'm not completely positive it ever had it, it never was scraping against rocks or had any white spots like my clown did.

No problem. I like it that you were thinking conservatively. In this hobby, being conservative is the way to go! :)

Back