Ick update

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

My2heartboys

OK, so far all fish seem fine. SG is at 1.019, ammonia is up and still have another wc tonight, ph is fine. It looked like my scooter blenny was gasping a little bit earlier so I now have an air pump with two hoses (NO diffuser) pumping in pea sized bubbles and I think his distress has eased up.

My frustration is that I cannot tell ANYTHING about my bi-color blenny because he is always hiding in a corner away from where I can see him. Does anybody know of a food/treat that a blenny has a total weakness for that I could offer him. I am about to the point of netting him and looking at him while he is in a plastic bag--but that would put an awful lot of stress on the little guy.

Anne

Good to hear all seems to be going well for you Anne. I wish you continued success especially with your bi-color blenny...

Don't add any unnecessary stress. Just get some Kent garlic extreme, it will enhance their appetite and also build up their imune system...... Oh by the way, my blennie is always gilling/breathing heavy....

Anne,

Try using foods that contain vitamin B12 along with additing a liquid vitamin (Vita chem or Zoe) directly to the water. It can often help stimulate the feeding response. Bi color blennies will accept foods quite readily but are easily "spooked" so try to keep stress to a minimum as much as possible. No overhead light, low ambient room light and maintain as stable water specs as you can. Ammonia, nitrite and low pH will definately curtail the appetite.

If a fish stops eating, the food type becomes less important than the act of actually eating. Try anything/everything to entice the fish including live brine.

Cheers
Steve

Anne - my bicolor blenny loves mysis soaked in selcon. As Steve stated, they can be easily spooked. When I moved my bicolor from the big tank to the nano, he would hide anytime I approached the tank. So I'd feed and he would miss out on the meal, unless he grabbed pieces when I wasn't looking. I would hide from view of the tank (this sounds crazy) and drop the food in, then he'd grab it.

Can you post what your plan is with this hospital tank? How low will you drop the salinity (assuming you are doing hyposalinity), and how long will you maintain that salinity?

NaH2O said:
Anne - my bicolor blenny loves mysis soaked in selcon. As Steve stated, they can be easily spooked. When I moved my bicolor from the big tank to the nano, he would hide anytime I approached the tank. So I'd feed and he would miss out on the meal, unless he grabbed pieces when I wasn't looking. I would hide from view of the tank (this sounds crazy) and drop the food in, then he'd grab it.

Can you post what your plan is with this hospital tank? How low will you drop the salinity (assuming you are doing hyposalinity), and how long will you maintain that salinity?
I don't have much of a plan for the tank other than what I am doing now. I did take Steve's suggestion and lowered the amount of light that the tank is getting. I have one of those Hobby Lobby fold in half flouresent lights and I just folded it up to reduce the amount of light. I have seen him swimming around a lot more.

As for SG and how long qt will be maintained--I will get back to you on that later tonight (if I can). Got choir here in a little bit and then gonna try to get wcs done on both tanks tonight.

Anne

The reason I asked is because without doing a treatment, the fish can reinfect the tank once they are reintroduced. I was curious to your plan, so if you want to get rid of the ich, then we can check out your plan and adjust it if necessary to be sure to kick the ich :).

As I understand it the plan is supposed to be to get the SG down to where the ich drops off. What I am unsure of is how long it is after I stop seeing spots that I can put them in the main tank. Clock is running on main tank already and that has to go 6 weeks and the fish cannot be put into the main tank before that. I will have to look up again how far down the SG has to go.

Anne

Your time frame for treatment and fallowing the main tank would be somewhat similar. Depending on how long it takes to get the salinity down to 14 ppt (usually 2 days), it can take a bit more time for the last spots to be seen. From personal experience I find the best "countdown" to be 4 weeks after seeing the last spot. That puts you at about 4-5 weeks and allowing for another two weeks afterwards for increasing the salinity/preventative monitoring after treatment, your main should have fallowed long enough by then.

Cheers
Steve

Back