ID on this tang....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Scottd

Well I picked this guy up over month ago and it looks like it may be going through a color change. It was labeled as a Bristoltooth Tang. Anyone know anything about them.

tang.jpg

Scott - I'm going to move this into the fish discussion forum. I'll leave a redirect in your club forum, too. It looks like a Ctenochaetus (sp?) tang, but I'm not sure which species. Basically, I'm not telling you anymore than you already know ;) :). I'll check out some sites and books in the meantime...

i agree about it being a Ctenochaetus sp, but not sure which one..if it is going through a color change, you may have to update the pic afterwards..juveniles can look completely different their full grown counterpart..maybe Steve will recognize it

tang7.jpg

He looks similar to mine. If so, he is a Bristletooth Tang. Mine is a good tank mate. he constantly is grazing a looking for algae... He can be pretty dominant with other fishes at first but then he calms down and gets along. The only ones he tends to bother the most are my Blennies. I have a bi-color and an algae blenny and they stay out of his way or he will chase them....

Yes mine is just a lighter version :) I am trying to find out more info, such as how big it will get etc. Mine is also all over the tank and bothers no one. He does spat with the other 2 Tangs (Sailfin & Atlantic Blue) but its really nothing as they all hang out together and I think its just a tang thing no biting or major picking on. Scott

Looks like it may be a transitioning Tomini (Ctenochaetus tominiensis or Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus). Do you have any other photos?

Are there any lines along the fish, spots etc?

There are lines along the body and 1 dark spot between the tail and top fin. I thought it may be a Tomini too but I only paid $24.00 for him, I've noticed Tomini's have spots on both the top and bottom fins by the tail. It would be cool if it was : )

Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus its your fish.

Hi Scott I think Steve hit it on the Nail head. I have a Book By John E. Randall called "Surgeonfishes of Hawai'i and the world" On page 65 he has a real nice picture of a Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus Its common trade Name is Bluelipped Bristletooth Quite a rare fish that is collected In the Marshall Islands It says they are found 1-30 meters in the reef, They get to about 7" I think your's looks like a younger adult. from The Picture Nice fish good luck with It...Jeff

Looks like it may be a transitioning Tomini (Ctenochaetus tominiensis or Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus). Do you have any other photos?

Are there any lines along the fish, spots etc?

Not a Tomini as even the Juvi's have the flame orange on the fins...

Nick

Well I picked this guy up over month ago and it looks like it may be going through a color change. It was labeled as a Bristoltooth Tang. Anyone know anything about them.

tang.jpg

Just saw your post. He might be a lineatus. Does he ever darken up? These are seldom available. I have one myself.

Katherine

It is a lavender. and they do have something against bi-color blennies. The lavender that i had chased my bi-color around all the time. He would even sit outside the hole that the blennie was in and wait for his chance to get him.

Back