ID on unknown pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

balogh03

Okay, so i have been looking at return pumps for my tank and a freind of mine gave me this one. The only problem is that i have no idea what kind of pump it is. He doesnt know, and you can see where the information tag USED to be. I was also wondering (even if we cant ID it) if it would work as the return for my 240. The motor is about 1ft long if that helps any.

Thanks
-augustus

100_0983.jpg

100_0984.jpg

LOL! Best bet is it is an external pump:p I have no idea man...Have you tried browsing some websites like Premium Aquatics, Marine Depot etc and looking at the pumps they have there to see if any resemble it?:)

It looks like a hot tub pump. The head looks too small to be a trash pump, but it could be that as well. The only problem (functionally) I can see with using it is that it most likely is a hot tub flow pump, they are not good with head pressures. The biggest problem would be the seal (IMO). If it is not made for aquarium or pond use then any abrasive matter could wipe out the seal and there goes the usefullness of the pump.

Last edited:
Thanks brian, do you even think it is worth trying, or should i just invest in a new "aquarium safe" one? thanks

-augustus

I would stick to something you know would work for you, salt will rust out most average pumps, if this one isn't designed to handle salt like in the seals as mentioned then it will cause you major headaches! JMO:D

I would invest in either a Dolphin or a Sequence pump. Keep the other one for a clean freshwater application (ie. hot tub) or sell it on e-bay to some one out of state :p

it looks like a flotech or sta-rite pump for a shallow well system or something similar. if your really on a budget you could take the pump end apart and see how its made. if it has any rust anywhere inside the pump end you dont want to use it on your reef tank because of the type of materials in the pump. if no rust see what type of shaft and seal/bearings it has. have you plugged it in to see if it works? ive got a blueline 70 magnetic drive external pump with a broken shaft i could sell you when i get it fixed if thats enough flow. its rated around 1700 or so. if you do take the pump apart let us know what you find or even take a pic or 2.

Back