id please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tash_g

can anyone please tell me what this critters name is he was actually black when i seen him but changed instantly to red when i bumped him taking the pic he was spotted of the coast of queensland australia thanks in advance

thank you to all of you that have given me so much information on this beautiful animal of the sea im not, and was never planning on keeping him i just wanted to know what he was so thanks again to all that contributed to the answers tash

Last edited:
Feather Starfish
Lamprometra palmata
The Feather Starfish is an unusual species that looks more like a plant than a starfish. It ranges in color from brown to orange, yellow, and black. Like the Basket Star, the Feather Starfish is a filter feeder. It is nocturnal, and at night it can be found with its long arms unfurled where it filters plankton from the water. The image represents general look of the animal. Expect some diversity since each animal is unique in color and pattern. Like all star fish, the feather star is very intolerant of sudden changes in temperature, oxygen levels, salinity and pH of the water, and cannot tolerate copper-based medications. It should never be exposed to air while handling.

REEFSAFE

http://www.acad.carleton.edu/curric...l/slides/Australia small keepers/IMG_0408.JPG

Last edited:
Ive seen them here and usually they are hanging upside down(ithink) on something.

Yeap thats a feather star, make sure that your calcium level is up 450
if not it will start falling apart. NOTE it's nocturnal and feeds on plankton.

Last edited:
Fishy

That is not a Lamprometra palmata Camtulid crinoid he has and Phil Camill from Carleton U, where you got the link from, did not ID it as that. It is a Himerometra robustipinna (Red Feather Star) tash has. And that Lamprometra palmata from Aqaua Coonection, where you got your copy paste from, is not red :)

Like all star fish, the feather star is very intolerant of sudden changes in temperature, oxygen levels, salinity and pH of the water, and cannot tolerate copper-based medications. It should never be exposed to air while handling.

Funny how they would know that when no one has kept one alive for more than a couple of months.

Tash

It is a Crinoid and what ever you do, do NOT put one in your tank. And people that sell them should be shoot. You will never keep one alive. It is a very unquie animal and should be left in the oecan.

Here is a link about Crinoid Biology

http://www.reefs.org/library/aquarium_net/1296/1296_9.html

Doc

calcium level is up 450
if not it will start falling apart.
[

Why is that it is not that high on the reef where it lives. From a tech stand point Ca++ over 340 ppm does not do much of anything for calcifying organisms.

Last edited:
Ok i just post that because in my lfs we get those thing alot and not to give bunk 411 we ran a test on that spec,and it failed apart with a low cal but at a high 450 it stayed alive for six- month thats all.

Back