id please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cbates

hey maybe one of you guys could id this for me. i just noticed it tonight. iits only on this one rock and it was next to a yellow polyp frag i had but is no longer in the tank. and as soon as you get close to it, it kinda pulls like a feather duster move and goes back into its tube, thanks for any help!

9406518536_2037843837_b.jpg

Oh man, really sorry to say, but you have a really bad infestation of aiptasia.

Is it all over all the rock? or just one?

So I pulled the rock. Do I boil it to kill whatever was on the rock and replace it? And as far as it looks like it was only on that rock. And the visit message was that for me? Haha I was waiting for an invite :). From what I hear you have a lot of reefers dreams all to your own

Yes its an invite. Your welcome to stop by any time. Well when I'm home anyway! LOL... I would leave the rock out to dry out for a few weeks. Ensure they are all dead. then let it soak in rodi water and rinse is reall good. How big is your tank and how big is the rock?

Yes yes. Ill have to come by one of these days. Okay ill leave it out and let those bad boys die. It's just a little baby 30g biocube and the rock was pretty good size compared to the tank. Thankfully no frags where on that rock so it was an easy pull. Thanks so much for your help! Moneys low right now so maybe when I get some extra I can purchase some of your beautiful frags!

When you kill the rock, you may want to cure it again before you put it back in the tank. If its that big, becuase of all the die off, it will probably cuase a mini cycle when you add it back to the tank. Its easy to cure it. When its good and dead, and your ready, let us know if you need help doing that.

actually those are hydriods, just about as bad as aptasia. The best bet is to boil or leave the rock out to dry and that will kill them off

???did those actually have hard tubes? or are they soft and retracted all the way into the rock?
if they have hard tubes, then yeah, stylaster is right. some of them look too big and spread out to me though to have been hydroids.
either way, they are dead now.

You mentioned that the rock had had yellow polyps on it. If there are any zoanthid or palyotha corals, on or potenialy on that rock I would caution you against boiling it. They can hold palytoxin that can be released in to the air during boiling. Here is a good read on it.

World’s 2nd deadliest poison, in an aquarium store near you!

There is a good write up on this forum too but I can't seem to find it right now :oops: Oh well the info is important no matter which forum it comes from :)

Back