ideal photoperiod?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Carloskoi

i have a 260 gallon with 40 gallon sump.

lighting is 3 250 halides, 2 160 watt actinics.

mostly SPS corals, a few softies and mushrooms.

what is the ideal photoperiod?

Carl

Boy, to be honest I can't really say. I've heard 8 hrs. Some say less some say more. I use to run actinics for 1 hr by themself then along with 10,000k's for 6 hrs and then the actinics for 1 more hr by themself. it worked for me, but I had no corals.

i've heard giving actinics an hour before daylights, what ever kind, gives less of a shock of a 'sun' coming over the horizen to noon in about a second, for algae i've heard 8 hours, i've heard less more like 10-12 for corals though

I have my atinics on for a hour then first halide for 8, then second halide an hour later for 8, and atinics go off an hour after second halide goes off.

My Mh are on about 13 hours a day.
I figure since there is no way I can approch the sun in intensity. I would make up for it with extra photo period. My fish do keep asking for welding goggles though.....
LOL

I run PC my actinics 1/2 hour before and after 13 hours on main lights. Soft corals, mushrooms, xenia, and some sps (porites?) on the live rock

A friend on fine (a little wacko) runs his on an Alaskan photoperiod...Says fish don't need to sleep (LOL) He has the one and only freshwater forest in the world (LOL)

Back