Identification help needed

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MoFireFish

I have a mushroom rock with polyps. There is also another odd thing on it. I'm not sure if it is some kind of coral or perhaps a worm of some sort. It seems to be coming out of a hole in the rock, and has iridescent 'hairs' coming out of the hole. I believe I've seem something come out of the center of it, but I am unsure. It's usually rather hard to see because the mushrooms tend to cover it when they are completely open. I don't have any pictures of it right now, although I don't know how well that would turn out, the hairs are almost clear. Its similar is shape of perhaps a filter feeding worm, except I can't make out any thing between the hairs that filter feeders typically have. Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? I can try to get a picture tomorrow if it will help, but like i said I don't think it will be very visible in a picture!

Possibly a barnacle

barnacle.jpg

Thanks guys, I think Leslie is probably right as it looks very similar to that! I've seen a little tube like thing coming out of it and the hairs and thats it. I actually haven't seen it since I transfer the mushroom rock to my new tank! Perhaps its facing the opposite way, who knows! Thanks for the help!

Back