Identify Cyano Algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Tieg

I wanted to asked the question on this thread but was afraid it would be classified as Hijacking ;)

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=349664#post349664

I have a growth that has started on the sand...kind of like a dark red color matting that when you scoop it up looks like a mat that breaks up. It started after I removed the carbon sock so that I could install a protein skimmer that aquapod is putting out for their aquapods (sounds redundant huh). Anyhow I'm going to make room so that I can reinstall the carbon sock and follow the above recommendation from the thread. Just wanted to make sure it was indeed cyano algae I'm dealing with.

How old is your tank Tieg? Could just be normal diatoms, but the 'sheeting' makes me think it is cyno. Any pics of the tank we can look at?

i have the same dam problem :( (stupid cyano crap :p) .
my problem is because i feed way to much Rod's food i think ?? (2 times per day and a big chunck hehe ) .
try playing around with your flow if you can (today i just moved my powerheads around) or may be adding a little bit more of flow would help too ( it has done it for me in the past )....just a few ideas :)

over feeding can play a major role in cyano thats a good start. Make sure you have a lot of water flow as well. A small Piece of advice if you can is after feeing your fish take out any large chunks of food that are left over. I did that and it helped big time

Sounds like cyano to me as well. I have heard that increasing the flow near the sandbed can help as well as reducing the amount of nutrients going into the tank. As a last resort I would use ultralife red slime remover. I used it on my tank before with absolutely no problems. Follow the directions of course. Good luck

Back