Identify type of Waving Hand Coral

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The genus looks like Xenia, not sure on the species. Doubt you'll get that close anyway... :p

Cheers
Steve

Yup Xenia payneintheeasses sp. Welcome to my nightmare. Easy to frag I must say but very hard to control. Wait till you see my experiment about these friggin ALIENS. The man upstairs created xenia and roaches for a reason.... if you can deal with them then St Peter is gonna have your back stage passes in hand when your number comes up.

I have some in my tank as well. 4251cpd are you saying this is a weed? Is it something that should not be in a tank? Mine is only 2 1/2 weeks since put in the tank and it seems to be doing well. That sounds like a bad thing. Is it that difficult to control? I have what I call Pulsing Xenia.

What does everyone think?

xenia is a nice addition to most tanks and you can control it and harvest it to sell or give away-always someone looking for some.

jsmkmavity said:
xenia is a nice addition to most tanks and you can control it and harvest it to sell or give away-always someone looking for some.
JSMK is putting a nice spin on this soft coral. Pluses are: they move, feed off dissolved organic matter, and very easy to propogate. My nightmare is I started off with one stalk that had 6 polyps on it, I wedged it in my LR. A week and some days later I now had 3 stalks. 5 weeks later and fragging off EIGHT stalks later I now have a total of 10 stalks. People think hair algae is a problem but if it likes your tank the miracle of life will be witnessed by your grandkids. Seriously, I love 'em but you may run out of buyers for your soon to be cash crop. I have found that if you frag then razor off the left over tissue from the substrate then you can control the colony. I literally have a new "baby" colony starting to grow on a tank wall, that I did not razor off the remaining tissue. I wouldn't change a thing except underestimating this resilient invert. Enjoy, Mike.:D

You had replied earlier to a request to identify my Waving Hand Coral.
Which turns out to be – Soft Pulse Coral Xenia payneintheeasses sp.

You mentioned adding the Xenia to your tank two or three months ago... how is your Xenia doing?

You mentioned adding the Xenia to your tank two or three months ago... how is your Xenia doing?
If it's been that long it has probably doubled in size at least 10 times :eek:

Back