Im back... and swinging the credit card to

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

burning2nd

YES YEs... the mysterious man with bad spelling has returned, and he's swinging the credit card around.. (kindda like those people who thing they can hold up in a house against the cops)

So ive moved.. bought my own house.. had a baby boy... whos a year old now...

today we went shopping for a hand gun for my wife... (little off subject but hold tight)
and i was about to buy some other things.... then i realized that i said i would buy new lights when we moved in to our own home... and the tank was more in the open... not stuffed in the basement away from everyone

So right before i was about to spend my money on some non sense i know i didnt need... i was doing a water change... and bam!... hit me in the face... buy new lights jon... buy new RoDi filters... Jon... stop neglecting your tank jon..

So im here

48" Current USA Outer Orbit 2x150W 10,000K HQI-MH w/ 4x54W T5 HO & 18 Lunar Lights* - AquaCave.com

This is the only site i can find that still has this... i know they went out of biz.. i know the hole back story... but ive had 3 current fixtures... and im very happy with them... they are easy to replace ballast's

this is what i ask of you guys... after all these years....

See if you can find me this somewhere else for less then 782.95 shipped...

72hrs on the clock to the commit button is pressed

yea last i heard the led tech isnt that good still... and honestly i dont even like the look of the fixtures

I currently have a Radion XR30w over one tank and I am really liking it so far.
The fixture is ultra sleek and sexy. The programing is far beyond anything I've seen in other lights, but however the price is through the roof IMO.
I got my Radion from a raffle at a LFS.
As far as the tech not being up to snuff, I think some of the newer ones are.
I see a lot of pretty nice mature sps tanks with them now.

But I do still have mh and VHO on my 240.

The LED technology is way past that of metal halides, with the ability to control intensity, dimming functions and of course the ramping in either direction. LEDs have in my opinion more power than halides and a quarter of the electricity usage. As far as the fixture build a canopy and put them in it.

Yes, you relly should take another look into LED lighting... much much better light output, much much less wattage, much much less lamp replacement cost and probably not a need for a chiller in the Summer months. I put together my mix of LED's to replicate the spectrum of a Phoenix 14K lamp a crisp blue white color that makes everything POP. OBD's fixture has great mix of LED's but you can always build your own to get exactly what you want.

Oh... Welcome back!

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:
forget that current fixture, and follow the other lemmings off the LED cliff.
I for one will never go back. and as far as the fixtures themselves, you can make
an LED fixture look like anything you want, or gut an old fixture and do LED retrofit kits.
And the idea that LED's arent as powerful as MH? old news, and no longer applicable.

pardon me, I was making reference to the OP's comment that he was under the impression that LED tech wasnt very good yet.
he didnt technically say anything about power.
so then, considering that you can computer control different light frequencies and brightness with led's, i would say the technology is definately there, and not very expensive.
and the output can definately match and beat M.H.
not to mention no bulb changes and less power consumption.

Im not interested in taking the time to make a led fixture... Ive seen the home made stuff.. ive seen the multiply hanging units..

So unless someone can point me in the direction of a unit thats comes like that already... its alright sold..

and sorry guys... This tech is still to new... its only been a few years since they really started pushing this on the market... which is still "new" by a reef standard

Leds do burn out... Theres different quality and fequ output... and generally soldering leds on and off individual boards is a pain in the ass.

So like i said... a link to a 48" led fixture that will put out what 2 150watt hqi's and 4 T5's Or thats dead in the water

Ive changed my mind im going to go with a cebu Sun or a hamilton belize

Back